Anonymous

TR7 drivers door light

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
saabfast
TRiffic

Re: TR7 drivers door light

Postby saabfast » 11 Aug 2018 19:41

Unfortunately you get 'You do not have permission to view this...', presumably if you are not a member.

I have to look at mine as the drivers door lamp will light up in the manual position but not in the automatic position, need to look at the courtesy switch I think.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 12 Aug 2018 17:32

Hi Alan,

If you want to send me a PM with your email address I'll send the diagram as an attachment.

I had something similar with my doorlight after Grinnal painted my car. The connectors to the light switch had been put back the wrong way round, swapping them over had them working correctly.

I prefer the lights to stay off when the doors are opened. They're unshielded and the brightness and low level provides too much glare at night. Strange since the headlights have all the power of fork handles.

Adam

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 12 Aug 2018 23:55

Hey busheytrader, I will send you a PM too as I need this diagram.

Yes, if the wires are the incorrect way around, the lights do play up. From memory with the light and the connectors facing to the right, the wires go black, black and white and then purple. I will confirm this later today when home, but I think that is how they go to get them to work correct.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 13 Aug 2018 03:30

busheytrader wrote:Hi Alan,

If you want to send me a PM with your email address I'll send the diagram as an attachment.

Adam
@Adam, I sent you a PM with my email address, but I have been able to download the diagram. Please ignore my PM.

From the look of it, the door lights get power/are connected to the from the horn push and the horn relay. Interesting....

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 14 Aug 2018 23:57

This is how the door lights are wired on my car and they seem to work OK.

Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 15 Aug 2018 03:28

I disconnected my door lights many years ago. They were very easy to turn on, just by brushing against them getting out of the car. If parked in bright daylight you could not notice, & leave them on.

After twice finding my 7 with a flat battery due to this, & decided I did not need them, so eliminated them as a source of problems.

Hasbeen

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 17 Aug 2018 12:45

Good point Russ, i was talking from the point of having the new door lights, not the original ones.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 18 Aug 2018 02:05

Well whatca silly fool i have been. Looking at the diagram in this post, I was able to see that the same wire/feed went to the horn, fog lights, clock and boot light. As it just happens the fog lights started playing up, the boot light has never worked, the clock was removed to put an oil pressure gauge in and the horn was not working. My thought was that if i fix this issue all will start working. Or that was my hope.

Before i started taking the dash apart I thought i would check the fuses. Well would you Adam & Eve it. The fuse in the battery and horn slot was a 15a and it should of been a 35a fuse. So i changed it to the only one i have currently, a 30a fuse and the door light came on, the hornand the fog lights worked.

I will get a 35a but for now a slightly lower rated one will haveto do. It is all working now and I am thankful that I do not have to take the dash apart. The moral of this is always check the easiest options first.