Anonymous

Due for some attention.

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Hasbeen
TRemendous

Due for some attention.

Postby Hasbeen » 21 Jul 2018 06:39

OK so I am getting a bit slack in my old age. I don't use the 7 as often as I should, or look after her as well as I once did.

I realised the other day that she has done 10,000 kilometres since her complete engine rebuild, in 5 years. Yes I know that is disgusting I know, I promise to use her more often.

I decided to shout her a new set of plugs & give her a bit of a tune up. I was surprised at how sooty the plugs were, so decided to give her a compression test, something I have neglected to do since the new engine went in.

The compressions are all around 165 PSI, about 20 PSI lower than the old engine, which had a pretty seriously shaved head, & 11.5:1 compression, but OK for this engine.

I have oiled foam easy flow air filters, & it looks like I did too good a job of oiling the new ones fitted recently, probably making the mixture a bit rich. One of the annoying things with my SUs is that I have to remove the filters to be able to lift the piston to check mixture, so it will be a little richer when the foams go back on.

I'll wash them out & go a bit lighter with the oil once the knees are up to another couple of hours leaning over the mudguard.

Took her for a run to make sure I had put everything back on, & as usual said to myself. "God this thing is beautiful to drive". "I must drive her more often".

This time I mean it. I've been treating her like a trailer queen, since the bare metal paint job, & the new engine, but I will start using her as my shopping trolley again. She might gather a few bumps, but should be a better car for it.

Hasbeen

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Due for some attention.

Postby FI Spyder » 21 Jul 2018 15:15

Yah, it doesn't matter how far in the corner of a parking lot you park there is always some one going to park next/close to you with the resultant likely hood of dings. Less important on my original 38 year old paint job (true patina that is not rust). :P

Just finished engine bay refresh.

I too don't drive it as much as I should as I just bought a 2013 Gen 1 Volt and it's so nice to drive EV although it doesn't get the looks of the TR7 except those when silently gliding by bystanders. Still like rowing through the gears though.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 21 Jul 2018 23:50

Good to see that I am not the only one who thinks he should drive his TR7's more often :wink:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 22 Jul 2018 11:35

Did the foams today. Washed them out, then reoiled them very lightly with some very light sewing machine oil, probably about SAE 5.

Took her for a good run, & was very pleased with the smoothness of the steering. Usually with the frosty cold we are having the tyres take a definite flat where they have been loaded for some time, which takes quite a few kilometres to work out. No sign of any flat spots, or vibration, so very pleasing. I really must use this car more.

Dropped into my remote control plane flying club on the way home. I use the wagon to carry my planes to this club, none of them had seen the 7, & most did not know I had her. They were all over her like a rash, some wondering what she was, & most with the usual, "haven't seen one of these in years" comments. Suddenly an old Triumph was more interesting than some very expensive, & very good remote controlled model aircraft.

What a great day.

Hasbeen