Anonymous

Robsport Bolts

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Mals1960
Wedgling

Robsport Bolts

Postby Mals1960 » 29 Jun 2018 13:19

I purchased two replacement bolts BH112151 to attach the front suspension ball joint arm to the Tr7 subframe, plus two BH110181 bolts to attach the antiroll bar aluminium clap brackets. Both sets of bolts are too loose and rattle in their balljoint arm bushes and antiroll clamp.

I called Robsport to query this as when compared to the old bolts these Robsport replacements are noticeably thinner along the unthreaded length. Robsports response was.

1, "Your new bushes are too big." My response, " no the new bolts are just as loose in the old bushes."

2, "Our bolts are 12mm and 10mm." My response, "no they are slightly thinner."

3, "They'll be fine, we use them in our workshop."

4, "Send them back for a refund." My response, "It'll cost more in shipping."

5, "Then you'll have to give them back at a show ." My response, (Silently) $%*^&^^$%£$£.

I'm I being unreasonable? I don't think that loose bolts are acceptable what do the rest of you think?

Alan

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Robsport Bolts

Postby Beans » 29 Jun 2018 14:47

To start with, have you measured the all the bolts, and what are their actual dimensions?
Bear in mind that bolts use their clamping force to keeps parts together
Last edited by Beans on 01 Jul 2018 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 29 Jun 2018 15:17

Are the bolts 12 and 10mm? A rusted bolt could expand in size slightly, wearing the bushes making them too big. Are you using new bushes?

When they shipped the wrong thermostat along with a parts order (no Triumph foot), they shipped the correct one. They paid for either new one or the shipping, can't remember which.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Mals1960
Wedgling

Postby Mals1960 » 29 Jun 2018 19:57

The original bolt is 12.5mm so I'd say that its an imperial 1/2" It's 3 inches long with thread on the last inch. I'd guess that this is the standard that Triumph fitted as it fits perfectly my old bush and my new orange poly bush steel insert. I haven't looked at the aluminium antiroll bar clamp yet but they are possibly 7/16" as the new 10mm bolts are too sloppy.

Mals1960
Wedgling

Postby Mals1960 » 29 Jun 2018 20:42

Sorry F1 Spyder I forgot to add that the old bolt and original bush is in good condition but the thread is damaged.

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 30 Jun 2018 00:45

TCA bolts should be metric M12, bolts for the ARB saddles metric M10
So looks like the previous owner did a bodge job ...
Last edited by Beans on 30 Jun 2018 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

Mals1960
Wedgling

Postby Mals1960 » 30 Jun 2018 12:01

Hi Beans, I fitted orange Polybush 30F to the TCAs they came with new bushes (Supplied some years ago by Robsport) and the M12 bolts are sloppy with them but the old 1/2 bolts fit perfectly, this is the same for a spare set of TCAs with rubber bushes that I have.

With the ARB clamps, I have a spare pair also to test, the M10 metric bolts do fit but are slightly sloppy on all 4 Clamps.

The only conclusion I can come to is that these particular bolts do need to be imperial to fit properly.

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 01 Jul 2018 00:10

I think that is the wrong conclusion, as stated above.
Bolts need some space to function properly.

Mals1960
Wedgling

Postby Mals1960 » 01 Jul 2018 11:33

Agreed that they need to move but they shouldn't rattle. The 1/2 imperial slides into the bush perfectly with finger tip force. Don't forget there is rotational movement on that TCA joint as the suspension moves up and down. A sloppy 12mm is not going to give a precise setup.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 02 Jul 2018 02:54

I have ordered loads of parts from Robsports. In that time there has been very few issues with the bits I have received. Sometimes it has been my misunderstanding or incorrect interpretation. On the odd occasions that they have been at fault, they have always replaced the items with new ones and posted them to me without me having to pay the p&p (even to Australia). Have a chat with Simon or Wayne and let them know the situation. I am sure that they will be able to help and if needed send replacement bits, rather than loosing a valued customer.

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 03 Jul 2018 20:15

Hi

To add my twopenneth. Like many, I do sometimes get a bit cross at mistakes made by parts suppliers, and we all know that some parts can be a bit shonky. I recently ordered various bolts from a TR7-specific supplier and when they arrived they were all totally random, and I couldn't use them. Not acceptable.

However (and this doesn't excuse the above), the smaller vendors like Robsport et al are catering for a very niche market and I would imagine have to take what's in their supply chain rather than have the coffers to manufacture their own parts. Likewise they are experts in our models and usually give out advice for free, for the love of the marque and its preservation. They are all custodians of records, holders of obsolete parts etc and I reckon do a great job. Sorry, I have gone a bit off-topic there.

Continuing off topic, what really makes me mad are the ridiculous prices charged by some private vendors on ebay for TR7 parts. Sure, an engine or gearbox are going to be a few hundred quid, that's normal. Likewise new old stock "hens' teeth" items - the holy grails - can command their own prices. But, say, £15 for a plastic window winder handle? £20 for a snotty old ash tray? £50 for a horrible gear stick gaitor. Those prices to me are just silly.

Or am I living in the 90s and not understanding the laws of supply and demand for parts these days? If the latter, I am going to have a clearout of my "junk" and become a millionaire :)

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk

Mals1960
Wedgling

Postby Mals1960 » 04 Jul 2018 13:31

In fairness the bolts were part of a larger £200 order and the replacement polybushes and sleeves had been supplied by them sometime before. To be told "I'm sure you've got more important things to do, refit the old ones (Bolts)" did leave me feeling a little annoyed.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 04 Jul 2018 22:09

johnnyj wrote:Hi
.........Continuing off topic, what really makes me mad are the ridiculous prices charged by some private vendors on ebay for TR7 parts.............But, say, £15 for a plastic window winder handle? £20 for a snotty old ash tray? £50 for a horrible gear stick gaitor. Those prices to me are just silly...............

i see this expensive stuff being reposted on eBay all the time, I guess it rarely sells. I've contacted the sellers with a realistic buy it now price, a few accept but most don't.

johnnyj
Rust Hunter

Postby johnnyj » 08 Jul 2018 20:39

[/quote]

i see this expensive stuff being reposted on eBay all the time, I guess it rarely sells. I've contacted the sellers with a realistic buy it now price, a few accept but most don't.[/quote]

Just looking on ebay tonight for a few bits & bobs. £20 for two of the rubber mats that sit on top of the dashboard? We're not talking remanufactured here, I mean two scratty, dirtly old rubber mats of which I have a shed load. As I say, maybe I am out of touch with market forces; maybe I don't know what's rare these days and what commands a high price. But a tenner each???? I am just using those as an example, BTW.

What can I buy on ebay for the TR7, brand new and supplied by our supportive suppliers for £20? Some examples: a NOS handbrake cable; a pair of suspension bump stops; a complete sump gasket set; a set of big end bearings; a set of brake shoes and a BL quarter light in original packaging. I could go on.

I reckon the suppliers do so to us pretty fairly, unlike the privateers who appear to be in cloud cuckoo land. And I think you're right, surely nobody pays top money for stuff in this condition, unless it is super rare.

Cheers

John
Triumph TR7 FHC, 1977
http://t-r-7.blogspot.co.uk