Anonymous

Towing a TR7 for a short distance

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Dave Dyer
Swagester

Towing a TR7 for a short distance

Postby Dave Dyer » 21 Apr 2018 12:52

Hi Chaps,

A simple question really. I'm going to tow my TR7 using an A frame, but where do I attach it? Does it attach to the Track control arms or to the steering rack Tie rod arms.

I'm just trying to get my head around how it will self steer!

Thanks,
Dave

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Towing a TR7 for a short distance

Postby Cobber » 21 Apr 2018 13:51

Stick the bloody thing on a trailer or tilt tray truck! :D
It's not worth the pain and suffering buggerising about with A-frames which are illegal in some jurisdictions, such as here in the state of Victoria, Oz.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 21 Apr 2018 14:22

How short is the short distance?

The 5 speed LT77 box's internal oil pump is driven by the input shaft. The propshaft should be disconnected since towing in neutral doesn't drive the pump and will knacker the box. The owner's manual had a maximum towing distance and possibly a speed as well.

I've never used an A frame but suspect it should be kept away from suspension or steering components taking any strain.

Dave Dyer
Swagester

Postby Dave Dyer » 21 Apr 2018 15:10

I can't really put it on a trailer as I haven't got one! plus I couldn't justify the cost of hiring. But it would be the best option if I could do it.

It really is a short distance. Its in a garage the other side of a very small town and only takes me 8 minutes to walk there.

A tow pole would be easy, but the Wife doesn't want to be in either the towed car or the towing car, so its a job I'll have to do myself.

I have watched a youtube video and they attach it to the Wishbone, but I have no idea how that would relate to a TR7.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 21 Apr 2018 15:57

Trailer hire would be a lot cheaper than repairing a buggered gearbox and/or front suspension and steering components.
Where would you get the A-frame from anyway?
Buying it would cost more than trailer hire and it would probably need to be adapted to your car.
The materials required to make one would cost more and be somewhat dubious in the safety dept!
Hiring one would still cost and still need to be adapted somehow, I doubt there is such a thing as a TR7 A-frame available off the shelf.
As I said........not worth the pain and suffering :lol:

I recently moved house, not far away....@ 5mins up the road.
My TR is suffering from a buggered clutch fork (again! :x )
I didn't think twice about shoving it on a trailer, I had planned to hire one, I casually mentioned it in passing to one of the clients and he offered to lend me one belonging to one of his mates. :lol:
He's a top bloke as he also lent me a huge machinery trailer to shift my lathe, milling machine and other large heavy stuff that needed a crane to shift.

I used to own a car trailer, a big bastard with a 16ft deck.
I found it was cheaper to hire one than maintain one.......not enough use to justify the agro of ownership so I sold it.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 21 Apr 2018 23:01

I needed a classic Mini Cooper Bodyshell moved 9 miles back home after our extension was completed. A local car recovery guy and his mate picked it up, literally, no wheels, and delivered it for £50 early on a Saturday morning before the working day started.

Might be worth a ring around.....

Roger27TBB
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Roger27TBB » 22 Apr 2018 07:44

Hi all,

if yours hasn`t got an automatic gearbox you can tow it without problems. Can you still shift the gear in zero position ? I would use a tow bar to move the car for the short distance. That is very easy, also for the driver in the towed car because he need not to brake and can not crush in your car and tow bars are not expensive, too (maybe 30-40 GBP).

regards
Roger27TBB

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 22 Apr 2018 09:06

Hi Dave,

We moved house a couple of years ago and I had to move my fixed head to a lock up about 4 miles away. I phoned round and a local vehicle recovery firm offered to transport it on their tilt bed truck for £60 which I thought was good value for money compared to the cost of hiring a trailer.

Rich.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork now done, mechanicals next then final paint
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 22 Apr 2018 12:10

The 5 speed manual LT77 gearbox was used in the Rover SD1, TR7 and other vehicles.

Note Sautie's post regarding his gearbox seizing whilst being towed. It's the 4th post in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23873&p=242801&hilit=Towing+gearbox#top

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 22 Apr 2018 14:34

busheytrader wrote: ... Note Sautie's post regarding his gearbox seizing whilst being towed ...

It doesn't explain why it seized. Probably something else wrong with it!
I am still waiting for a good explanation why a TR7 fitted with an LT77 box may not be towed whereas a Land Rover with the same box can.

As an aside, towing any vehicle should only be done for shorter distances and emergencies.
The most I had one of my TR7 towed was 30 miles when the fuel supply failed.
The gearbox survived and did perform as if nothing had happened for many more years.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 22 Apr 2018 16:20

No idea why a LR should be different but the BL recommendation was to disconnect the propshaft for towing with the 5 speed box. I think there are speed and distance limits in the handbook for towing without disconnection but I don't have access to it at the moment. They even put a hoop under the shaft to support it when disconnected.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Dave Dyer
Swagester

Postby Dave Dyer » 23 Apr 2018 19:02

Thanks Chaps for the replies/comments.

Cobber you must be psychic, no I haven't got an A frame yet, just looking at it as an option.
I will give the local garage a ring and ask for a quote. Its probably the best option as the car doesn't have tax or MOT.

Dave