Anonymous

Triumph TR7 South Africa VIN question

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Jaws
Wedgling

Triumph TR7 South Africa VIN question

Postby Jaws » 21 Jan 2018 12:35

Greetings from Johannesburg,

I am hoping you have experts on TR7 VINs to hand.

According to several of our club members there were approximately 200 FHC and 200 DHC TR7s brought in to South Africa by the Leyland Motor Corporation of South Africa (Leykor).

I wrote to the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust (BMIHT) requesting some information for the following TR7 convertible VIN: TPADJ7AT301261

Below is the response and subsequent e-mail trail.

“The VIN prefix you have quoted defines your TR7 as being built at the Canley factory (ending with 'AT'). The number range for these cars (for which we have records) start at 200001 (October 1979) and runs to 215080 (August 1980). Production changes to Solihull (with the prefix ending in 'AA') in April 1980, with a new number sequence starting at 400001 which runs to 408534 (October 1981). These are the only VIN prefixed numbers we have records for.“

I responded:

“According to one of our Triumph Club members there were 200 Convertible and 200 Fixed Top TR7s brought into South Africa by Leyland. They went to Motor Assemblies in Blackheath in Cape Town. Are the above useful “clues” for you. Perhaps you have records somewhere that detail ”cars exported” to the “rest of the word”, in this case South Africa. Does this information help with further investigation by your department? I’d be grateful for you “asking around” so to speak – it would indeed by nice to get some facts.”

BMIHT replied:

"That would explain the mystery, they are CKD (complete knock down), but in true British Leyland style, they obviously didn't bother to change the prefix to show this. I couldn't find any mention of South African built TR7s in any publication we have, but did wonder whether this could be the reason. So thank you for the information, next time it comes up, I'll know."

Essentially I am none the wiser and am hoping you can steer me in the direction of someone who knows more about TR7s sent to South Africa.

The critical reasoning behind trying to find details of South African TR7s with the 300000 series VINs is so that we can get records which will provide vital information such as factory built, date built, engine number, paint code and trim code et cetera; the all important issue of “Matching numbers”.

Here’s hoping you can help or advise please.

Kind regards from a hot Johannesburg,
Jaws

John Austin-Williams

Webmaster: www.triumphclub-joburg.co.za

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Triumph TR7 South Africa VIN question

Postby saabfast » 21 Jan 2018 13:34

Hi JAWS, welcome to the forum.
No doubt you have seen the decoding page below:
http://trdrivers.com/tr7___tr8_vin_numbers.htm

I don't think it answers your question but no doubt the forum benefactor, Dr Christopher Smith, will be along with some wisdom. Christopher has archives of much of the production (and seems to own most of them!).
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 21 Jan 2018 14:35

Hi and welcome to the form.

I am aware of the SA TR7'sand have a thought of what may help.

A few quick questions:
Can you confirm if the door locks are round or square?
Can you confirm if the bonnet front panel has a laurel transfer or an enamel badge?

Go to the back of the car, open the boot and look at the left hand side of the drain channel, there is a number stamped into the metal, check and double check IF it is the same as the VIN or one digit different.

Let me know the 2 different numbers on the two small tags in the engine bay.

Then I can do some digging for you.
Christopher

A respectable collection.

Jaws
Wedgling

Postby Jaws » 25 Jan 2018 15:51

Hello Chris et al,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I have no access to the car - it's a 1000km away at a car dealer and he won't send pics.

All I can tell you is that there are more with the 30xxxx series numbers here in SA.

I'll keep digging - If I see one at a local gathering/show then I'll get as much detail as possible and compare it to other South African TR7s that I find at the event.

Cheers from a hot Johannesburg,
Jaws

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 25 Jan 2018 16:32

ok, without info I can't be of any help - sorry
Christopher

A respectable collection.

Sautie
Rust Hunter

Postby Sautie » 30 Jan 2018 10:06

I think that you have a mystery.
Your Vin number shows that it is a Triumph,Tr7/8, UK,Convertible,4 cyl engine, RHD Manual,1980/1,Canley.
Now in August 1980 production of 7/8 ceased in Canley and moved to Solihull.
Solihull cars have the Prefix SAT.
the 8's and 7's were built on the same production line and there is no difference in the numbering system.
I have a complete list of TR8 VIN numbers and these should run with the 7's .Now my Canley 1980 TR8 has the number 214261 and the last 8 I can find with a 2 series is 248018 and this is June 1980. The next car is also June 1980 and is 402016. There are no 3 series in between. It seems logical that if the 7's & 8's were built on the same line there numbers would be consecutive. My daughters Solihull 7 is SATTPAEJ7A406933

Jaws
Wedgling

Postby Jaws » 30 Jan 2018 10:13

Thanks Sautie, I will keep digging my end - hopefully some clues will come out of the woodwork.

Cheers from Johannesburg,
Jaws