Anonymous

Dash LED's

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Dash LED's

Postby Polly-Red7 » 19 Nov 2017 12:26

Hi,
Thinking its high time to upgrade the dash lighting to LED's. However I'm clueless when it comes to the electric side of things. Could someone let me know which I have to buy to change both the cluster lights and the down lighters on the centre console and how many I need of each? Looking to keep the colour green too. Thanks as always in advance, Chris
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"
Remember a TR7 is for life, not just Christmas :D :roll:

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Dash LED's

Postby saabfast » 19 Nov 2017 16:44

I seem to recall that the dash bulbs are T5 wedges. Note the colour you want should be the colour of the LED. (I bought some white ones thinking the green lenses would give green light and ended up with a bluish dash). Also do not change the ignition light, this needs the bulb resistance for the circuit to operate properly.
Not sure of the heater lighting bulbs as I have not changed them, I'm sure someone else can advise.
I think there was a thread with a list if you try a search.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Sautie
Rust Hunter

Postby Sautie » 20 Nov 2017 09:24

I sent a complete study with all bulb specs, bulbs that fitted straight into the original holders to both TR Driver & TR Register. TR Driver published it in condensed form. Send me you E-Mail & I'll send it to you.
Sautie

Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Postby Polly-Red7 » 20 Nov 2017 19:14

Cheers will pm you now
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 20 Nov 2017 21:44

I recently performed this with all the interior bulbs in my dash and also on the heater console. As you can see from my signature picture the results are very good and I am glad that I did it. Do not forget that you cannot use the dimmer with led’s though. So what I did was take the dimmer out and just joined the cables together. I heart that you can get dimmers for led’s but I thought at this stage for me, there is no point. It is true that you do need to select the bulb colour that you need. I hear that people have taken off their shades, but I did not and it all worked fine. I also got all mine off ebay which helped keep the cost down and I got a few spare ones into the bargain too.

Below I have attached a picture of the bulbs we need and the replacement options. This is what I found worked for me, but if you have anything different; some may not work for you. I also changed a few of the exterior bulbs too, such as the break, reverse, tail and side lights. On the whole I found that the interior ones gave the best results and the bulbs outside were much of a muchness with the originals. However, I did find that the reverse light did give a whiter light. Once again if you decide to do the exterior bulbs, you will need to purchase the same colour bulbs as the shade where they are to be used.

I have not changed the indicator lights yet as that will need a new led flasher unit, as the existing one cannot cope with the low led voltage. Mine are bright enough at the moment and I figured that the amount you have them on they will not take too much power. That is unless you have the hazards on all the time, which hopefully is not the case lol.

If you need any help with this feel free to message me as I have recently performed this conversion and it is all fresh in my mind.
Attachments
TR7 - LED bulb replacements options..PNG
TR7 - LED bulb replacements options..PNG (47.75 KiB) Viewed 7182 times

Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Postby Polly-Red7 » 21 Nov 2017 10:08

Many thanks for that UKPhilTR7 that is a great help. I shall start trawling eBay later on. Cheers Chris
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 21 Nov 2017 13:47

A few observations on Phil's post because I have been through the same process and swapped most of my bulbs to LED's

UKPhilTR7 wrote: Do not forget that you cannot use the dimmer with led’s though. So what I did was take the dimmer out and just joined the cables together.

I still have the dimmer in place and to my surprise it does actually allow a limited amount of dimming. It doesn't have to be bypassed unless you want.

UKPhilTR7 wrote: Once again if you decide to do the exterior bulbs, you will need to purchase the same colour bulbs as the shade where they are to be used.

Colour is important if you want the white side lights to look the same as the existing yellowish bulbs - use "warm white" LED's. For the indicators, the coloured lenses can be removed and a amber LED's fitted. For the red lights (Brakes/rear lights) use Red LED's.

UKPhilTR7 wrote: I have not changed the indicator lights yet as that will need a new led flasher unit, as the existing one cannot cope with the low led voltage.

If you have fitted an electronic flasher unit, to overcome the common problem of slow indicators due to poor earthing, it will work perfectly well with the LED bulbs HOWEVER you also have to change the hazard flasher (its the same relay as the indicator, but is located in the glove box area) or fit power resistors in parallel with the bulbs - Since I haven't got around to changing the Hazard flasher, for the moment I have 50W 6.8 ohm resistors installed in parallel with each bulb (they cost under 2 quid each)

IMHO the main benefit is that LED lights can be left on for extended periods without draining the battery in emergencies.

Cheers

Howard

Polly-Red7
Rust Hunter

Postby Polly-Red7 » 21 Nov 2017 14:49

Thanks for the extra info Howard.
Cheers,
Chris
Chris
1982 FHC "Polly"

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 21 Nov 2017 21:27

Howard_B wrote:I still have the dimmer in place and to my surprise it does actually allow a limited amount of dimming. It doesn't have to be bypassed unless you want.
You are lucky that you can keep your existing dimmer. When I was reading up on this every post that I read said that the original dimmer would not work and when I did my bulbs I found that to be the case. Is yours original? I have found that with the dimmer gone, that has given me space to put a usb charger in the dash.

Howard_B wrote:If you have fitted an electronic flasher unit, to overcome the common problem of slow indicators due to poor earthing, it will work perfectly well with the LED bulbs HOWEVER you also have to change the hazard flasher (its the same relay as the indicator, but is located in the glove box area) or fit power resistors in parallel with the bulbs - Since I haven't got around to changing the Hazard flasher, for the moment I have 50W 6.8 ohm resistors installed in parallel with each bulb (they cost under 2 quid each)
Are you sure about this? I have recently changed the flasher unit to a nice new electric one (with extra earth) and the hazard was changed too and still LED's will not work. I placed one led in me rear indicator and it was going crazy like it was on speed. For that reason I have left them as they are. For me they are bright enough and like I said, hopefully they will not be on too much. I have not added the resistors, but from my experience what you say about the relays is incorrect. I have heard that you need to use a special low resistance relay to make the led indicators work.

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 26 Mar 2018 18:59

Hi Phil

Only just spotted your questions so please excuse the late response.

Dimmer is original and provides a modicum of dimming, not that its ever been needed. However I like your idea of a USB port which sounds much more useful.

My flasher is the standard electronic flasher from Robsport & works fine without any additional resistors. The high speed flashing make me suspect that someone has sold you an old style bi-metallic unit with separate earth wire since this should not occur if it is an electronic unit.

Cheers

Howard