Anonymous

Painful Decision

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
scribe
Rust Hunter

Painful Decision

Postby scribe » 17 Nov 2017 16:28

Hi All,

I think the time has come to make a painful realisation that I just don't have the time to restore my TR7 :( I probably will in retirement, but that's at least 20 years off.

As a result I've made the decision to let it go. I can't call it a complete car as it's in pieces (hence it not going in the for sale as the title is complete cars), but it is all there minus the windscreen which cracked, the exhaust and some nasty carpet. At the moment it's a rolling chassis (DHC), and boxes of bits.

Rather than scrap it I'd like to see if a forum member would like to take it on as a project. I'm based in Cumbria and can provide further information should anyone be interested.

Regards

Chris

scribe
Rust Hunter

Re: Painful Decision

Postby scribe » 19 Nov 2017 09:53

I should add that I'm not looking for much at all for it.

If someone can take it all, I'll be happy with enough for a meal and a few pints to drown my sorrows.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 19 Nov 2017 16:31

Chris, think hard and if you have the space keep it boxed, push the body to one side of the garage and store the boxes in it. There may come a time before retirement when you have the time. If you have kids they may be interested at some time, great to work together on it. I gained a bit of time (or really needed a displacement activity) when I got divorced. That's when I bought the 7 and got it back on the road. It is good to have something like that available when needed. If you get rid of it you will always regret it and may not be in a position to acquire another as prices rise in the future. I look back on a number of cars I just got rid in younger days which I could never replace now.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Bobbieslandy
Wedgista

Postby Bobbieslandy » 28 Nov 2017 20:12

I concur, mine’s had about a year’s use, 2000 miles since 2006 and is like yours, currently in bits in the shed. The story “I used to have a ...... but sold it for peanuts, wish I still had it” is something I hear so often and isn’t something I want to be telling 20 years from now. If it’s not taking up valuable space and can be ‘hidden’, hide it. You know it makes sense :wink:

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 29 Nov 2017 15:04

If you've never driven this car you have no/little emotional attachment to it. I wish I had all the cars I've owned (there weren't that many as I keep my cars a long time except for a couple) not only because they would be rare today (although not worth a lot of money) but because they were part of my life. Although you think you'll have gobs of time when you retire that may not be the case ("I've never been so busy than after I retired"). Some times taking a break from a project is a good thing. It usually boils down to "room".
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

spanner
Rust Hunter

Postby spanner » 09 Jan 2018 12:38

Hi Chris
Do you still have the car? We are in North Cumbria so probably not too far away - get in touch either on here or drop me an email or message.
Cheers
Mike
mikeyturn @ yahoo.co.uk
Near Penrith and the Lake District :)

scribe
Rust Hunter

Postby scribe » 12 Feb 2018 10:21

Hi all,

Thanks for all who have posted and sent me private messages.

Sorry for going silent but work has been mad. I have finally dug the car out of the garage and taken some pictures. The car is still available but have to go away with work again. I will post the pictures when I get back in about 2 weeks.

I hear what you are all saying about keeping it for later even if later is 15 years down the road, but I really need the space for other projects. If I can move it on to someone who can do something with it (other than scrap it!!!!), then I'm happy.

Cheers

Chris