Anonymous

Fuel Injected to Carbs

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Fuel Injected to Carbs

Postby Hasbeen » 10 Nov 2017 02:53

I have had trouble with both new mechanical & electric pumps.

The only mechanical pump sold as a spare part in Oz is a generic pump that looks the same, but has a longer arm, making it semi suitable for a large range of classic English cars . Unless set up properly with the right spacers between it & the block, it will pump up to 4PSI on our engines, & give serious flooding.

Incidentally for anyone interested, the diaphragm in the lift pump kit for my 1950 Fordson major tractor fits the 7. The kits cost just A$13.

Most electric pumps sold here also have too high pressure, & will cause flooding. I currently have an electric 2.5 PSI pump made in New Zealand, which is "ALMOST" good. With it the 7 [with SUs] will perform faultlessly for a month or three, then give intermittent minor flooding for a while. I have been unable completely cure this, but find it the best compromise. UK Phil is having a similar problem.

I have tried pressure regulating valves with both types of pumps, & find then a total pain in the ass. They have to be so restricted to work on our cars that the slightest bit of silt in the fuel will shut the flow completely. This is surprising as we used the things set at 2 PSI on Webber carb Formula !s & Formula 2s back in the 60s, with complete reliability.

Don't know if this helps, but may be useful background for your decision.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 10 Nov 2017 07:13

Hasbeen wrote: ... pressure regulating valves ... have to be so restricted to work on our cars that the slightest bit of silt in the fuel will shut the flow completely. This is surprising as we used the things set at 2 PSI on Webber carb Formula !s & Formula 2s back in the 60s, with complete reliability ...

Same over here! I have a high capacity electric pump with a pressure regulator on my Sprint engined FHC.
It's been rather reliable over the past twenty years in combination wih twin Weber DCOE's (needed an extra in line filter though :roll: )
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Skyliner
Wedgling

Postby Skyliner » 11 Nov 2017 11:05

Well guys I finally traced the lines coming from the fuel tank. I was confused because there are actually three; fuel line to carbs, return fuel line and the vent line. Since I am changing to carbs I will blank the return line. The vent line is complete with charcoal filter and vapor separator so I will leave that in place. At first I was leaning toward the mechanical pump, but after hearing some pros and cons I am now leaning toward an electric pump. Does anyone know of any TR7/8 suppliers in the USA other than VB that could supply a quality electric pump? I know there are many pumps on the market and if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I had the one suggestion about a pump offered by Summit Tracing and may go with it, but would like to compare it with others before making a final decision. Thanks again for all of the valuable information.
Gary