Anonymous

Trying to identify wires

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Trying to identify wires

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 20 Oct 2017 02:59

I have a new indicator flasher unit to fit and I am trying to identify the wires that are currently there, as I have to add a new earth.

Would I be right in thinking that the purple is the 12v and the (what looks green) is the Indicator light feed?

Not near the car currently or I would get the multimeter out and the diagrams on the net are not helping much. Thought that you good guys on here would give me the answer faster :D

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Trying to identify wires

Postby saabfast » 20 Oct 2017 12:40

If you need to add an earth I assume it is an electronic flasher unit. That wiring looks different to mine which had an 'L' shaped connector which fitted to the electronic unit as it was. Looking at the wiring diagram (I just happen to carry to the office) your looks as if it might have been changed (or was from a different week!). The diagram shows LGS (light green/slate) to the flasher unit and LGN (light green/brown) to the switch. The earth is just a separate cable from the electronic flasher unit to any body earth point. I seem to remember found one under the dash and attached a small drilled copper earth strip as I wanted to connect other earths (supplementary from the instrument panel).
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Howard722
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard722 » 20 Oct 2017 15:46

I believe this is the hazard flasher unit-2 x purple + 1 x light green&pink wires
Indicator flasher has 1 x light green&brown + 1 x light green&slate
hope this helps
Enjoy & regards

Dave Dyer
Swagester

Postby Dave Dyer » 20 Oct 2017 15:54

Phil, you're right in your wiring identification. Purple is the positive. But this is the Hazard flasher unit, not sure if you're mixing them up or that is the one you are replacing.

Dave

Edit, just noticed Howard beat me to it!

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 21 Oct 2017 00:22

Hi guys, thanks for the reply. Yep the extra earth is for an electronic flasher unit. I looked a bit further and yep the picture added is the wrong one. I two have the two light green wires going into the existing unit with the l shaped clip. One I is the constant live and the other I take it is the indicator lead. This l shaped connector like you say Saabfast fits on the new unit nice and easy. I just need to wire the new earth in which is easy enough. Cheers guys for the help.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 21 Oct 2017 08:59

These are the wires

Earth still to be added to this picture, also relay in this picture is for led lights

If it's not broke don't fix it.

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 22 Oct 2017 17:34

This is the wiring on my electronic flasher unit. Great improvement.

Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 22 Oct 2017 20:45

One of the better "improvements" I did to the wedge before its MOT in Feb.

My V8 idles happily around 600 rpm. The original flasher unit went into lazy mode at idle.......no such problems now.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 23 Oct 2017 23:03

Thanks for the pictures and the words guys. I have it fitted now after adding an earth point to the heater housing. Looks good if I say so myself, as I was able to attach it just under the dash right by the front but still out of sight. I must admit that it does seem to be a great little modification s the indicators flash at a nice even rate now. Oh yes Stevie_a, that is a good point as I was hoping to put led indicators in. I will have to see if this electronic one will also work as nice with led's. If not the wires are all there for a new one :-)