Anonymous

For UK owners what do you think ??? Proposed Changes to exemption of vehicles from MOT

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Paul.H
Wedgling

Re: For UK owners what do you think ??? Proposed Changes to exemption of vehicles from MOT

Postby Paul.H » 07 Jan 2018 16:41

From what I've read a vehicle has to be in the "historic" category to qualify for zero vehicle excise duty.

Vehicles which are 'substantially changed' don't qualify as historic under the new rules unless the modifications were carried out over 30 years ago. As far as I can tell the two are linked.

However it will be up to vehicle owners to decided if their vehicles are substantially changed or not. How you would go about proving or disproving when modifications were carried out is anyone's guess.

prackers
Rust Hunter

Re: For UK owners what do you think ??? Proposed Changes to exemption of vehicles from MOT

Postby prackers » 13 Jan 2018 14:18

My understanding of it after a fair bit of research is that under the new, to be implemented rules are that if it qualifies as "substantially modified" and is 40 years or older then it will still require an MoT but will qualify for zero excise duty. Whereas currently it has to be a a vehicle of historic interest to qualify for zero excise duty, ie under the new rules "most" vehicles once 40 years old will become tax exempt although some of them will need an MoT to be able to tax them.
1978 TR7 FHC 4.0 Toyota V8
1979 TR7 DHC 5.7 Chevy V8
1980 TR7 FHC 2.0
1981 TR7 DHC (not decided yet)

ImageImageImageImage

Paul.H
Wedgling

Postby Paul.H » 15 Jan 2018 09:21

Thanks for the reply Prackers. Glad to hear the substantially changed category will qualify for zero road tax duty. sounds good!

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 15 Jan 2018 15:45

Anyone like to comment as to whether a TR7 V8 falls into the substantially changed category or not? Did Triumph ever badge/sell a car called a TR7 V8. If so maybe a 40 year old TR7 with a V8 conversion will benefit from tax exempt status?

Would like your views on this please.

Seems to me I remember reading that the TR7 rally cars where called TR7 V8's as there never was a TR8 sold in the UK (press cars not withstanding). The first V8 car Bob Tullius raced was a TR7 (from an auto wrecking yard) converted to a V8 as he wasn't sure the factory could give him a TR8 in time to set up for the racing season. Don't know if this would count. Regardless how detailed the wording it will never cover the many shades of grey in the real world.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 15 Jan 2018 15:46

FI Spyder wrote:

Anyone like to comment as to whether a TR7 V8 falls into the substantially changed category or not? Did Triumph ever badge/sell a car called a TR7 V8. If so maybe a 40 year old TR7 with a V8 conversion will benefit from tax exempt status?

Would like your views on this please.

Seems to me I remember reading that the TR7 rally cars where called TR7 V8's as there never was a TR8 sold in the UK (press cars not withstanding). The first V8 car Bob Tullius raced was a TR7 (from an auto wrecking yard) converted to a V8 as he wasn't sure the factory could give him a TR8 in time to set up for the racing season and he raced it as a TR8. Don't know if this would count. Regardless how detailed the wording it will never cover the many shades of grey in the real world.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Paul.H
Wedgling

Postby Paul.H » 16 Jan 2018 11:00

Murky waters to say the least.

My initial worry was my V8 would miss out on zero road tax duty when 40 years old as it may fall into the substantially changed category. However as a previous poster pointed out, under new rules vehicles over 40 need not fail to gain or loose their "historic" status if they fall into the substantially changed category.

When my V8 is 40 I will apply for a change in taxation class. My assumption is I will be asked if the vehicle has been changed from stock and to what extent. Only time will tell what happens next!

prackers
Rust Hunter

Postby prackers » 16 Jan 2018 17:38

TR7 V8's "shouldn't" be a problem, under the 30 year rule which states that if a modification was reasonably common within 10 years of the end of the model line then it "should" fall within the rules for MoT exemption, and there were plenty of TR7 V8's around by 1991/2. A lot of ifs and buts in there but that would be my interpretation of it?
1980 TR7 FHC 2.0

ImageImageImageImage

Paul.H
Wedgling

Postby Paul.H » 17 Jan 2018 08:52

At present I think the situation is still not clear. Will keep an eye on the Classic motoring press for any further news.

Prackers, where did you find the info that covered common modifications carried out within 10 years of production ending? Sounds interesting, would certainly cover a TR7 V8.

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 17 Jan 2018 10:37

The guidance states that a vehicle may generally be a Vehicle Historic Interest if relevant changes were undertaken more than 30 years (rolling) previously.

Key points:
The process is one of self-declaration.
Owners will only be required to declare their vehicle to be a VHI if they wish to be exempted from an annual MOT Test.
All vehicles will still be able to be tested if their owners wish.
The criteria are generic and permit changes made, less than 30 years prior to the declaration, which improve efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance.

The is still GUIDANCE and the way I read it, the vehicle itself must have been modified 30 years previously unless generic ... so a problem with the various engines, brake systems, etc. We still need to wait a while.
Christopher

A respectable collection.

XSeries
Rust Hunter

Postby XSeries » 27 Jan 2018 19:03

The early TR8 models were designated TR7 V8.................................
But as already pointed out watch this space
Who would trust the Government/civil service further than you could throw it?
There was a referendum to leave the EU - but it looks as though that could take 6 years to implement so at what stage does a 40 year old car reach 40 years?

Paul.H
Wedgling

Postby Paul.H » 30 Jan 2018 09:19

At present when it's 41 years old....lol!

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 20 May 2018 08:37

Morning All,

OK time to debunk all the rubbish printed about the new MOT and tax laws .... here are the possible combinations that apply to UK TR7's and TR8's :
1) Car currently on 'historic' (not PLG) taxation class .... just go online and you can register for exemption and a free tax
2) Car not currently on 'historic' (on PLG) taxation class - you can go online and get MOT exemption BUT you need to pay for you tax until you get historic ... OR go to your Post Office and get exempted and free tax
Historic taxation class is currently for cars built before Jan 7th 1978 ... those built after (in 1978) will need to wait till April 2019. If you car is built before this date but registered after Jan 7th then you will need to prove its build date.

If you are one of the (I think) 2500 cars that were registered after Jan 7th but built before, then get in touch and I will talk you through the process to get your TR7 / TR8 exempted

P.S. This morning I have tested all the above combinations with 6 of my wedges ...
Attachments
TR7 MOT exemption.JPG
TR7 MOT exemption.JPG (60.49 KiB) Viewed 7329 times
Christopher

prackers
Rust Hunter

Postby prackers » 22 May 2018 17:35

If only life was so simple! Presented my forms at the Post Office this morning but they didn't know anything about it or what to do with them, I left them with it and said I would call in after lunch and after they had contacted the help line. Second visit, the help line had told them that the car was already MoT exempt (it isn't..yet, without my declaration) but I still had to pay for road tax??? Also they said I (or they) didn't need to send the logbook, proof of build date, and form V112 to the DVLA. Another trip home to print out the relevant DVLA pages explaining why it should be tax exempt, and the Post Office had to send it off. Third visit they then reluctantly agreed to do so. Only took 4 hours!............
1980 TR7 FHC 2.0

ImageImageImageImage

rugbyref1
Site Admin

Postby rugbyref1 » 22 May 2018 19:21

I think I need to set up a help-line ... my Post Office now rings me if they have queries ...
Christopher

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 23 May 2018 14:44

Hopefully all agencies will be familiar with their policies (left unchanged?) by mid May 2020 when the DHC V8's MOT is expected to be due around its 40th registration birthday.

My V8 will have been in place around 30 years and was a common conversion in the 1980's and unlike a MGB with a telescopic damper conversion, everything else concerning drivetrain, brakes and suspension although uprated is of the same basic design.

Simples! for road tax and MOT exemption. Hopefully. Maybe I'm being too optimistic?