Anonymous

No Problem

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
BenTen
Wedgling

No Problem

Postby BenTen » 11 Sep 2017 22:46

Given that posts so often cover a specific problem I thought I should make a statement that I have just returned from completing the NorthCoast500 here in Scotland without a single problem. BenTen did not miss a beat and held his own against a far more modern and exotic collection of machines including 3x ClioV6, Boxter s, Merc SL500, and original Elan.
Fantastic scenery and great drive. Highly recommended. David

spanner
Rust Hunter

Re: No Problem

Postby spanner » 11 Sep 2017 23:59

Fantastic roads up there we did the NC 500 and then went along the Aberdeenshire north coast too

We clocked 1400 miles in 5 days but sadly not in the Tr7 as it needs fresh engine before the big trips but the plan is made for next time.
For anyone getting to the far north the trip to Cape Wrath is very worthwhile, it tajes half a day out of the schedule, John o Groats is in decline compared with visits over the last 40 years
Near Penrith and the Lake District :)

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 12 Sep 2017 09:17

Hi BenTen / Spanner,

We completed the NC500 about 10 days ago. We stopped off at Ullswater on the way up from North West London and then completed it in about 12 days stopping off at various B&B's and small hotels for 2 nights at a time. About 2,500 miles all in.

We didn't go in the wedge as Mrs Busheytrader can't tolerate the V8 for more than 25 miles at a time, it won't hold all her luggage and we'd be lucky to get more than 20mpg. We travelled in her company car which comes with a fully paid up fuel card so it was a no brainier really. In personal defence I've driven to Le Mans and back in the wedge. Good to hear your wedge made the tour with no issues.

Here's a few words I wrote about the NC500 on a travel website.

"Our trip from North West London and back again took up the last 2 weeks of August. We stopped off for one night in the Lake District then took in the NC500 anti-clockwise from Inverness.

Some people complete it in a couple of days but we decided to make several 2 night stops at B&B's and small hotels enabling us to take in the sights along the way and explore things at each stop. Apart from an emergency ringaround for a hotel room one night, we'd booked all our rooms well in advance.

The scenery in the North East is relatively flat and featureless with conventional roads. This contrasts with the mountainous North West where the roads are often single track with passing places and wind their way through the most amazing scenery. Early on we met those travelling clockwise who'd wished they'd travelled the opposite way round.

The local traffic knows where they're going and on average drive much faster than the tourists, if you let them overtake they wave back. We only met one car club out on tour - a bunch of Abarth 500 drivers who looked lost, otherwise there are plenty of tourers on motorbikes and VW transporter camper vans, all responsibly driven I might add. In the NorthWest we had to stop for 2 deer families as they crossed the road, one shaggy long horned bull who wasn't moving for anyone and manoeuvred our way around countless sheep. You need to watch out for anything and everything including lorries on those single track roads.

If you get the chance to take a ferry to the Orkney Isles, do it. The scenery is amazing. It feels more densely populated than the whole North Coast.

Fuel is not a problem as long as you don't let the tank Drop below 100 miles in it. Thankfully there are a number of fuel stations in remote places that have 24/7 automatic pumps that accept all plastic including fuel cards.

Apart from one disastrous small hotel where my wife refused to take her coat off upon arrival and we didn't stay, all the B&B's and hotels were great. All the restaurants and cafes were welcoming, the only exception was a crabby woman in a Spar shop come petrol station which didn't take fuel cards.

The weather can be changeable, we experienced three seasons all in one day in the mountains. We loved it."

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 12 Sep 2017 15:19

Returned from a 2750 km/4½ day trip with the DHC, through various European Countries last Sunday.
Again nothing went wrong. These are reliable cars when properly maintained :mrgreen:
The NC500 is pretty high on my touring list 8)
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 13 Sep 2017 14:52

My last decent trip in the 8 was a little over 2900 Kilometres in 3 days, about 30% in city traffic, the rest country roads.

She gave no trouble, & used just over 10L/100 kilometres, about 28 MPG. Not bad for a 300+ BHP 4.6L. Of course with out speed limits of 100 or a little at 110 Km/H, I rarely got over 1/4 throttle.

Hasbeen

spanner
Rust Hunter

Postby spanner » 17 Sep 2017 10:23

Re the NC 500 it might be worth starting a thread listing good car friendly places to stay and things to see that might not be obvious.
Also various extra bits which are well worth a drive while in the area. I think that collectively there is a lot of useful information that could be shared that would help others and also be things to look out for in the next trip.
Near Penrith and the Lake District :)

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 17 Sep 2017 15:25

Also just back from the same 10CR 2000 miles blast around Europe with about 80 other Triumphs including four 7's on the run. All the 7's finished under their own power :D

Despite being barely used this year, car ran well & was fun to drive. Coming down Stelvio the green stuff pads got a little warm (according to my nose) & I need to trace a slight misfire but hopefully will get some more time to actually use the car next year...

andyf
Swagester

Postby andyf » 04 Oct 2017 12:06

I was going to post about my 800 mile trip to Brittany and back a few months ago in weather from torrential rain through to 30+ celcius temperatures without any issues.
Then I read Howards, Hasbeens and Beans posts and realised mine was equivalent to a quick trip down the road. :D
1980 Persian Aqua DHC

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 04 Oct 2017 12:44

Its not the distance that counts, but did you have fun in your 7? Go ahead and post the pictures :)

Cheers

Howard

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 04 Oct 2017 21:18

Indeed it is all about enjoying your TR7 :wink:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

andyf
Swagester

Postby andyf » 25 Oct 2017 21:32

Howard_B wrote:Its not the distance that counts, but did you have fun in your 7? Go ahead and post the pictures :)

Cheers

Howard

Ok you asked for it. :D (P.S. Sorry BenTen for hijacking your thread).

On Thursday evening 29th June I was loading the car ready for a very early start to catch the Plymouth-Roscoff ferry for 10 days motoring holiday in Brittany - scratching an itch I have had for years, always wanted to take the TR abroad. Despite my wife`s idea of travelling light differing greatly to mine, we did manage to get everything in - just. "Don`t know why you worry, it all went in" she said, with two bags jammed at her feet.

Friday heralded torrential rain for the journey to Plymouth (about an hour away for us) and this continued the other side of the channel for our 80-90 mile drive to our base, a B&B at St Evarsec, near Fouesnant in Brittany.

Saturday afternoon it stopped, so got the top down in the car park of a tourist information in Concarneau First car pic of the holiday.

It was a fortuitous visit as I picked up a leaflet with classic cars on. Despite my poor French I figured out it was a week long cruise by a car club and the next day they were at Trevarez, only about an hour from our B&B. Nuff said, there`s tomorrow itinerary sorted, and as a bonus it was held next to this incredible castle, so sightseeing as well, pleasing the wife. We turned up and I dumped the car on the grass next to the others. We timed it badly, no-one was about, it looked like they were in the middle of a sit down meal indoors. I got a few photos though.

We spent a really great holiday sightseeing the local area, using the B&B as a base. I took quite a few snaps of the TR, here are a few, I won`t post them all, it`s the same car after all.

At Pont l`Abbe

Looking small at Quimperle

Off the beaten track at a small fishing village called Doelan

Concarneau beach

En route between Locronan and Pointe De Van

Pointe De Van

At Roscoff ferry port waiting to go home

I was quietly confident the car would be ok (although I took quite a few spares and a breakdown card) there is always a nagging what if in the back of your mind. I needn`t have worried, despite all weathers from torrential downpours to temperatures into the low 30`s Celcius, she never missed a beat.

In the ten days from leaving Teignmouth to getting back, she did 788 miles at a quite amazing 35mpg average (helped by French roads that were wide, straight and quiet). Really, really delighted with that.
Last edited by andyf on 27 Oct 2017 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Persian Aqua DHC