Anonymous

An odd headlight issue

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

An odd headlight issue

Postby Monkeyzak » 10 Sep 2017 09:29

I thought I'd resolved my headlight issues and they were fine.

I flashed my lights to let someone pass me on my street. Then the left hand light kept popping up and down about 20 times before stopping. I switched my lights on. They both come up together. Then when I switched them off the left one just keeps popping up and down. I disconnected the pekton thing and cleaned it. Still the same.

If I switch the lights on they work. Full beam worked too. When I switch it off the lights go off and the left one pops up and down.

Is the pekton??? Relay done. Can it be tested?

Thanks as always for your help and advice

Maki
Scuttle Shaker

Re: An odd headlight issue

Postby Maki » 10 Sep 2017 09:45

I had similar issues and after much messing around with relays and cleaning earths ( which is well worth the effort ), it did indeed prove to be the Pektron.

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 10 Sep 2017 09:47

Spray all the wiring and connectors with WD40 to stop damp getting in and that can stop this sort of issue.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 10 Sep 2017 10:50

I'll order a unit tomorrow. They don't seem to be available new.

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 11 Sep 2017 16:09

Would it be the Pektron unit if only one light is affected?
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 11 Sep 2017 18:09

Don't have a clue what else it could be. If it wasn't working at all it could be loads of things. If it's not that then I'll need to get an auto electrician

Howard_B
Rust Hunter

Postby Howard_B » 11 Sep 2017 19:18

You will find the drawings you can download from this link assists. Page 2 shows the circuit with an explanation of how it works:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0OCjgNgn85aOEdlYWp6dnFfc2s/view?usp=sharing

As it only effects one light I would check the associated run/stop relay and the contacts on the headlamp motor before anything else as these are the only items that are specific to a single headlamp

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 11 Sep 2017 20:19

The only time I had a similar problem I cured it by cleaning all the contacts in the two connectors behind each headlight in the engine bay. LH one was doing the dance but all OK since - so far. Then again, with these cars might just be a coincidence!
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 11 Sep 2017 20:43

I'll get a pektron. If it's not that I'll clean everything. Then give up.

The motors seem reliable enough but the rest is not so good in the lighting department

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 12 Sep 2017 07:10

Quite a while ago I posted somewhere on this forum, exactly how the headlight wiring system works.
It's a little complicated and I now don't remember exactly how it all works ( it took me quite a while to work it all out) But I suggest using the search function to find it.

In an even older post I recall describing how I rebuilt my Pektron box.

The search button is your friend! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 12 Sep 2017 08:53

I remember that post Cobber. It gave me a headache just following the thing.

When the 8 did this, one side only as described, I was lucky enough to hit a pothole, [bless our wonderful roads], which stopped it.

The next time was in the shed, when switching off after a run. Remembering the pot hole I shock the bunch of connectors in the front of the engine bay, on that side. Result, the headlight stopped cycling.

I figured I had located the fault, cleaned the living daylights out of all headlights connections, including fuses etc.

Hasn't happened since.

Hasbeen

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Sep 2017 16:15

Never had a headlight issue. Never had an electrical issue (except see below). The first winter while I was getting it ready for "out of country safety check") I cleaned every contact and put dielecric grease on them. Never had an electrical problem in 10 years and counting. Now the caveats.
- After taking my console off several times rummaging about with the radio/speakers (turned out I had a dial twisted all one way duuh!) a 12v feed wire to dash lighting broke it's strands. My fault for repeatedly futsing about in that area.

- Intermittently dead when starting, turned out the + battery clamp wasn't clamping red feed wire tightly (might have been after market clamp, can't blame Lucas).

- Lucas high output alternator crapped out a year ago, unknown how long it was in there, not original . Can't rebuild as there is no tag on it, Looks like a 17ACR but it's wired differently, doesn't look like 20ACR or 25acr so I replaced it with a Saturn alternator.

So if you want a reliable electric system, don't blame Lucas (yes it is a cheap harness but that's what they wanted) blame yourself for not doing the one time maintenance that should be done every 15, 20 years (not sure of time frame as I haven't reached it yet).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 12 Sep 2017 18:08

I bought a pektron unit off the old boy who lives near me. Tried the lights before I fitted it and they were fine. I sprayed everything with contact cleaner and cleaned with fine Emery paper and wasn't working. Now is. Hey ho. I have a spare pektron.

A winter job will be to sort the rest of the electrics out. The fuse box is done. Need to get the dash out and fix the rest

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 13 Sep 2017 20:45

And now it's not working again. Only driving the car until the end of September or October. Whenever they put salt down so I'll live with it till then and get the electrics a full run over by the spark I know

Someone has put copper grease on the relays. I'm presuming this is terrible due to conduction issues. Or would it not matter?

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 13 Sep 2017 21:44

I am also chasing down a winking right headlight - I had similar issues a couple of years ago.

As it does not stop when it gets to the up position I am asuming not enough voltage is going back to the motor relay. So this has got to be a poor/tarnished connection somewhere, and there appears to be no option but to labouriously clean them one by one....

Next stop, pull each wire one at a time from the Pektron connector block, and very carefully emery cloth and open up the small fragile brass (or copper) contacts, which at the best of times have only a small "footprint" against the Pektron units piano key contacts.

Worth a go ?