Anonymous

Fuel pump washer for later pump

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Fuel pump washer for later pump

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 25 Aug 2017 14:37

I have been looking at the TR7 Fuel Pumps on the Rimmer site and the pump with the longer are is marked as the one for the later models. The Fuel Pump Spacer Block - 13mm states that it is also for the later cars.

So my question is, is this correct the longer arm pump with the 13mm spacer block and so you need any normal gaskets with this?

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Fuel pump washer for later pump

Postby Cobber » 26 Aug 2017 06:34

Yes you should have a gasket on either side of the spacer.....so two gaskets.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 26 Aug 2017 13:32

The last spacer in a pump kit, & the last separate spacer I have bought had gaskets bonded on either side of them as standard.

The new pump, [long arm], with the 13mm spacer was causing the SUs to flood, because it was pumping well over 2 PSI. I had to add 3 thicknesses of Kellogg Cornflakes packet additional spacing to reduce the pressure to 2.2 PSI, before the flooding reduced to very very occasional, & acceptable.

Hasbeen

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 28 Aug 2017 00:00

Cheer guys,

I will be adding the aviation gasket to my pump (as suggested by Cobber) and when I take it off I will ensure that my longer arm pump, has the two gaskets either side of my 13mm gasket.

Good idea with the Kellogg Cornflakes packet additional spacing Hasbeen. At the moment, that is one thing my car does not suffer from. However, as I have now said that I have tempted faith and I am sure I will be using that method soon :-)

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 28 Aug 2017 03:37

One suggestion.

I found getting the second bolt into the fuel pump on our right hand drive 7s, with the steering shaft in the way of access fairly difficult. Spending much time mucking around with the pump, trying to find the hole in the block for that second bolt was asking for the leaver to pop off the lobe on the jackshaft.

After some swearing at Triumph designers, or/& bean counters, I installed a couple of studs in the block. Made R & R the fuel pump while adjusting the spacing to get the fuel pressure right a breeze, rather than a frustrating chore.

Hasbeen

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 28 Aug 2017 05:33

Sounds a good idea Hasbeen. I think I may have to look into that.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 28 Aug 2017 15:36

Two things that I usually end up replacing the bolts with studs are, starter motors and fuel pumps.
In both cases, on most cars, this makes fitting so much easier.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 28 Aug 2017 22:27

Sure does make sense and would be easier when fitting the pump (or starter motor) back on. Expecially wirh the gaskets and the aviation gasket sealer that needs to go on before the pump. From looking at the rimmed site the stud would need to be more than 1 1/4 inch to take the nut on the end and have enough to go into the block fully.