Anonymous

Boot / Trunk Lining - Triumph TR7 / TR8

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
MichaelBooth
Wedgling

Postby MichaelBooth » 01 Mar 2013 02:21

Hi there. I am a new member so please be patient if I commit any heresies. I am in the process of replacing the boot linings for my new TR7/V8. First, the bulkhead lining. There are 4 holes in the top of the bulkhead which I guess are for the button clips, but no holes in the lining I bought from Rimmer Bros. Do you just align the top edge of the lining with the top edge of the bulkhead and push some holes through?

Second, the linings that cover the rear lamps. I can see how they fold and were they sit, but the holes in the linings don't line up with anything. Is my car missing some kind of frame that sits around the lamp housing?

wedgewa
Rust Hunter

Postby wedgewa » 01 Mar 2013 04:29

I redid the inside of mine a few years ago. Bought a complete kit from Rimmer with mixed results. The mats were fine. But NONE of the cardboard pieces were even close. The side pieces were completely too huge and so were the tail lamp covers. I wound up reworking my original side boards (some black Gorilla tape required) and used the original lamps covers as patterns to cut the Rimmer covers down (a lot) to size. The lamp covers attach with one button at the top and 2 small screws along the bottom.

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 01 Mar 2013 05:19

Hi Michael,

[8D] WELCOME TO THE BEST TR7 / 8 FORUM IN THE WORLD EVER [8D]

Heard of several people having trouble with these from Rimmers, often the case with 'repo' bits, how about carfully dampening with water to fold the rear covers, have been told the folds are in the wrong place ?

If you get a chance post some pictures of your new car always great to have a look

Cheers John

ImageImageImage Image
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!

1976 Speke FHC Beauty

1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!

supercass
Swagester

Postby supercass » 01 Mar 2013 09:14

I can understand if there are issues around the fit of some repro parts that are complex in nature, but making a few bits of pressed heavy duty cardboard is hardly rocket science, and for the price they charge I would expect them to be spot on! supercass

Sautie
Rust Hunter

Postby Sautie » 01 Mar 2013 10:54

One of our members some years ago made up glass fibre covers for covering the back of the lights in the boot. Essentially these are a rectangular open box with a bottom lip through which you screw it to the floor and an extended top edge allowing you to screw to the body. Excellent

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 01 Mar 2013 12:48

I had the original fiberboard covers but they were worn at the folds, not acceptable in a trunk that looks like it just came out of the factory. I spray painted them with a type of undercoating/anti-chip paint. In the picture you can see a button/push pin at the top and one of the two screws at the bottom, you should be able to see corresponding holes in the metal. The rear bulkhead mat is held up by two screws (hex head) going from memory. You should be able to see the screw holes in the bulkhead for alignment.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

MichaelBooth
Wedgling

Postby MichaelBooth » 01 Mar 2013 22:42

Hi folks, thanks for the helpful replies, but the mystery has deepened. The lamp covers are different from those in the pictures from FI Spyder. The top horizontal panel does not have the small flap that folds up vertically and houses the button for the top fixing. Instead, its on the bottom of the lining. There are two holes on the edge of the top panel, neither of which match any holes in the body. One of the holes does not even overlap the body so cannot be used. The manufacturer has got this completely arse-about. I need to decide if I send these back to Rimmer's or just work with what I've got.

I've also included a photo of the bulkhead which has four holes ?? Maybe these are post-production, added somewhere in the car's 30+ years history. Its no trouble to work with these.

Now to a contentious issue: fuel delivery. The engine is the Rover 3.5L SD1 with a Holley 390 carbi. I have looked on the web and there are lots of different opinions and experiences on the best way to go. I'm leaning toward twin S.U. HIV's. What are your thoughts?

Regards

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 01 Mar 2013 22:56

Your choice, you could work with what you've got. I know of one TR7 owner that made his out of some kind of plasticized material painted black. they looked pretty good. Then there's Ron (Orange Rag), master of using other car parts that can be made to work in TR7's, used a set of luggage to make his indestructible ones (a gorilla could jump on them). Post a picture Ron.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 01 Mar 2013 23:25

[8D] I just wear socks myself[:D].

Sorry Michael, I couldn't resist that. Oh, & welcome.

The kids round here who bling their cars use a heavy crushed velvet, or a velour, & stick it on.

They carefully cut the stuff to shape, then use a pressure pack of craft glue, & stick it on. Works like a simple contact cement.

It is pretty easy & looks really good, much better than it sounds. I actually copied them, & used the method to glue a heavy indoor/outdoor carpet on the insides of the fenders.

I did this after someone put a loose heavy object in the boot without telling me. It slid across the boot & dented the fender outwards where it hit. Yes I know I should corner slower. I hope the carpet is enough to absorb a similar impact.

Hasbeen

spanner
Rust Hunter

Postby spanner » 04 Mar 2013 14:57

Ourlight covers were missing and batteryin bot wasn't covered so we bent some up from thin black plastic - can be done with a hot air gun if you are careful or a hot wire line bender -mosst schools have them. hth
Mike

Near Penrith and the Lake District :)

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 04 Mar 2013 16:12

Michael, what no one has told you is that there are two types of rear lamp cover!

Although essentially the same they attach to the body in different ways. Later cars (1978 model year shell onwards) had the kind that you see in FI Spyder's picture. Earlier cars had no vertical flap at the top, just a horizontal flap with a couple of self tappers in it - that sounds like the covers you have, wrong ones for your car.

The parts books (& hence Rimmers website illustrations) are a bit confusing here. The early lamp covers are XKC1550 & 1551, the later are XKC2647/2648, but the illustration shows the early type with the later part number. The actual photos on Rimmers website appear to show the early type trim with the later part number as well.

You have a later car - why? Because you have the 4 holes in the boot bulkhead for the vertical trim mat, also only found on 78 model year shells & later. Your bulkhead trim should have the matching holes which again are fastened with plastic studs - if not it's easy enough to make holes in the correct places. AFAIK earlier cars did not have a bulkhead trim at all.

Finally, the bulkhead trim is different between the coupe & the convertible cars, so make sure you get the appropriate one for your car.

Tony
ImageImage
<font size="1">1981 TR7 FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 TR7V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!
1977 TR8 FHC EFI Factory development car Inca Yellow</font id="size1">

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 04 Mar 2013 17:17

Tony, how do you know all this stuff???

rgsSpider
Wedge Pilot

Postby rgsSpider » 04 Mar 2013 18:16

I too ended up using my originals, after a lot of duct taping bits together, as templates and cut down the ones from Rimmers. Worked great after that!

Randy

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 04 Mar 2013 18:43

I must get a life ......

Tony
ImageImage
<font size="1">1981 TR7 FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 TR7V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!
1977 TR8 FHC EFI Factory development car Inca Yellow</font id="size1">

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 04 Mar 2013 19:32

And slightly different from Syders covers ...

But the same shape as the ones that were fitted when I bought the car in 1988