Anonymous

3D Printers

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

3D Printers

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 03 Aug 2017 04:18

Not so long ago, I needed to get some front side lights and housing. I had a bit of trouble tracking them done, but in the end got there. So this got me thinking. With some of the plastic bits that we need to keep our cars running, can they not be made on the latest and greatest 3D printers? I am not talking the big things, just the little things that are getting a bit hard to get these days.

Beans
TRemendous

Re: 3D Printers

Postby Beans » 03 Aug 2017 07:03

Very well possible, the only thing you need is a 3D computer model of the part you want to fabricate.
I did it a few years ago for the wheel centres for the Wolfrace wheels on my DHC with good result.
Since than the technique has become even better and cheaper.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Re: 3D Printers

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 03 Aug 2017 23:03

It is good to hear that you had good results with the item you made Beans. The only thing I am unsure about is how thick we can make the items. I would imagine that you can make them think enough to be as strong as the originals. The good things is that with items like the side light housing and such like, the items are there for the 3d scanner. When I was looking at the Rimmer catalogue I noticed that a few of these items were no longer available and that got me thinking that the 3D printer may be the way to go. I have seen some for a few hundred dollars here, so think I may ask Santa for one, so I can have a play about with it.