Anonymous

Leaking fuel pump

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Leaking fuel pump

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 24 Jul 2017 05:36

I have the standard fuel pump that is connected to the block. I keep on seeing get oil around it, so think I have a slight leak.

I have tried to tighten up the bolts as much as I can but now I am worries about stripping the threads.

So I will order more gaskets and change them but was thinking of putting a layer of grease or gasket sealer on the pump and gaskets to seal it.

Had anyone else had this issue and how did you stop it leaking?

It is the oil from the block that is leaking not the fuel from the pump itself.

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Leaking fuel pump

Postby Cobber » 24 Jul 2017 10:56

Using a gasket sealant won't be a problem, I suggest Permatex No. 3 Aviation grade non hardening, just paint this stuff onto both sides of the gasket and assemble.

There is probably a spacer block between the pump and the engine block, check to see this isn't cracked (entirely possible if over tightened) you must replace it with another of the same thickness if it's damaged, or your fuel pressure will be out.
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 31 Jul 2017 01:02

Cheers for that Cobber. I was unable to get the brand that you show above, so I went for the Loctite one #3. Now all I need to do is find the time to be able to get down to the garage and put it on the pump and the gasket and I will be fine lol.

I am thinking that I will look around the car and see where else I can use it to try and cut down on any leaks that I may have.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 31 Jul 2017 04:56

Phil why do you want to do away with the tried & tested Triumph method of rust prevention.

Stop that leak, & the right-hand side of the engine bay is sure to start rusting.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 31 Jul 2017 20:24

The leak could also be coming from the pivot pin from the fuel pump's lever arm.
Depends on the construction of your fuel pump.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 01 Aug 2017 00:19

Lol I like your way of thinking Hasbeen. I just want to stop the drops on the floor. i know that old British cars are meant to leak, but I hate the marks on the cardboard.

Hopefully, if I do this first I can see if it works. If not I can at least rule it out. :)