Anonymous

Which connector is right?

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Which connector is right?

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 19 Jul 2017 04:48

I currently have my dash out and I will be changing my cigarette lighter to a new green one, rather than the orange one that I have now. I have never used this lighter but when I took the connectors out, the big black plastic highlighted below was connected to the lighter case.

I see in the picture below that the big black plastic connector (which is connected to my cigarette lighter case) is connected to what I only assume is the air con control? Also there is a double black cable connected to the case of the lighter. Is the set-up below correct?

Also would I be right in thinking if the twin black cable connector goes to the cigarette lighter case, is that the earth/neutral?

Photo used from another post I was reading about this issue.
Last edited by UKPhilTR7 on 21 Jul 2017 11:03, edited 7 times in total.

saabfast
TRiffic

Re: Which connector is right?

Postby saabfast » 19 Jul 2017 12:50

The black would be ground/earth connections. These may be connected to other earths and then to a ground point on the body somewhere. According to the wiring diagram (which I just happen to have in my case in the office :wink: ) there is a purple connection to the cig lighter which seems to come from hazard unit and also connects to the horn relay. No connection is indicated to the AC system. However, this is the diagram out of the Manual (1978) and wiring did change in other years.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 19 Jul 2017 15:22

UKPhilTR7 wrote: ... Photo used from another post I was reading about this issue.

Photo doesn't show on my computer :roll:
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

simps
Scuttle Shaker

Postby simps » 19 Jul 2017 22:21

No picture here either, but from memory the big black connector is earth, there's a purple with a small female bullet that fits to the centre of the lighter and a red (and white?) On a short fly again on s bullet connector. I did take a picture and will upload it when I'm at my PC

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 19 Jul 2017 23:20

simps wrote:No picture here either

With Photobucket playing up these days and not allowing 3rd party hosting, I tried to link to a picture in my google pictures account, but it did not work. Not too sure why at the moment. I have added the top picture from photobucket as it working is a bit hit and miss.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 20 Jul 2017 00:00

I went down to the garage last night with the multimeter in hand and checked all the cables/connections. Something I should have done Monday, before I blow a fuse lol. The black with the bigger connector is the lighter earth (as you guys mentioned) which fits to the side of the lighter case. The red & white is for the light and this comes on when the lights are turned on and the purple is the lighter feed which is a constant live.

In the picture that I was trying to post above, the red and white and the purple are connected to the lighter. However, the bigger black connector is connected to something else (I was assuming this was the AC), with another smaller female spade connector going to the side of the lighter. This is what throw me off, as my new lighter has both a black and red coming from the bulb. When I looked last night, I only have the bigger black connector and not the smaller one.

I now know that I have to fit the new lighter bulb red to the existing red and white cable and the new bulb black will to the existing earth bigger black connector that goes to the case of the lighter. Now all I need to do is split one of the earth cables on the bigger black connector and connect the new lighter light black to it and I have a working lighter lol.

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 21 Jul 2017 00:20

This is what my current lighter set-up is like. Now I know this to be correct as the bigger black connector is the earth going to the old lighter. When I looked at the picture in my first post this through me.