Anonymous

Aligning wheels with string

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Aligning wheels with string

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 11 Jul 2017 04:03

I changed the passenger side track rod end over the weekend. I was going to do the other but ran out of time due to family commitments. I will change drivers side before I driver her.

When I took the passenger side off, I marked the amount of turns the old one was too. So when I came to putting the new one I could and did put it to the same point. This was with the hope that the alignment was the same. However, it is slightly off. What I am going to do is do the driver’s side to the same and see where I am. The good thing is that now I can make sure the steering wheel is in the right position as before it was slightly off.

I have looked on the net and there seems to be a way of aligning your wheels using string. This is only a rough method and I will get it done professionally before driving her. However, at the moment my car is not doing any long or fast driving so it should be OK.

So I was wondering if anyone has either been in this position or aligned their wheels like this.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Re: Aligning wheels with string

Postby FI Spyder » 11 Jul 2017 14:57

I aligned with string. That was ten years ago, no noticeable tire wear. Be aware the rear wheels are further apart than the front and you have to compensate for that. The figures are in the OEM ,manual. Just never got around to getting an electronic alignment.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 12 Jul 2017 01:58

Phil we aligned every Lotus & Brabham F1 & F2 cars I ever drove by the string method, & believe me it is the most accurate method possible, if you spend enough time setting the thing up properly.

The only thing that is a bit of a hassle with the string method is castor, but I doubt most professional shops could do anything with castor on our cars anyway.

One advantage of the string method is it tells you how well aligned the back axle is, something the old wheel alignment machines could not do, before laser aligners came along. You would be amazed at how far even brand new leaf sprung cars could be out.

As for the steering wheel alignment, for cars without steering wheel air bags, the standard professional technique was to pull the wheel off, & set it straight after the job was finished. Much quicker than mucking around under the car. Don't tell anyone, or you will destroy the mystique of the professional.

How do I know? I owned a steering, suspension & brake shop back in the day.

Hasbeen

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 13 Jul 2017 03:38

Thanks for the information guys. It is good to know that it is a well-used method of aligning the wheels and that I am not going to do something that may screw up the drive of the car totally.

Last night was a really good night with regards to work on the car. I went to the garage and took of the broken track rod end (on the driver’s side) and replaced it with the new one. This whole process compared to the passenger’s side, was well a piece of cake. I was expecting a right game, but it was not thankfully.

I set both the track rod ends to the same amount on the rod (5 threads) and give or take a fraction both wheels were looking spot on. I will more her a little bit and then look at fully aligning the wheels the weekend with the string.

Before when I went to a professional shop they aligned the wheels but the steering wheel was of 45 degrees. This would always drive me mad. So this time when I have done it myself I have been able to get the wheels pointing forward and get the steering wheel pointing correct. I am a happy camper.

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 13 Jul 2017 19:26

Sure you know what you are doing but centre the rack and then fit the steering wheel in the correct position then adjust the toe equally.Steve

UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 13 Jul 2017 23:45

Oh yes Steve as the last thing you would want is to have it off and one wheel nearly all pushed out and the other with loads to go when turning. Resulting in not being able to achieve the legendary TR7's fantastic turning circle lol.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 14 Jul 2017 03:01

I'm lazy.

After aligning the front, I free the steering wheel from the spline, with the old sharp tap on a brass drift method. Fit the wheel loosely back on the spline, with the nut finger tight, then go for a short drive. I live near the end of a quiet country back road, so I can simply get the car traveling straight, stop, & if it is out, simply pop the wheel off, & refit straight.

This allows for any steering bias required to stop the car drifting down the road camber, & unless you have done something very silly with the tie rods, will have the rack as near as damn it at the centre.

Hasbeen