Anonymous

Factory Spec tyres

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Factory Spec tyres

Postby Hasbeen » 19 Jul 2017 06:19

What is not very long?

I'm coming up on the 6 year age limit for some of mine, & have done less than 6000 kilometres on any of them, mostly quite gentle, & they are barely worn. I hate throwing out unworn tyres. I'd rather replace them due to wear sooner, rather than age.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 19 Jul 2017 10:27

Depending on driving style they should last somewhere between 5.000 and 10.000 km on the public road
Though I managed to scrub 1 mm of rubber from a set in less than 100 km (or 4 laps of the Nürburgring's Nordschleife :mrgreen: )
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 19 Jul 2017 15:25

Tire life not much of a concern nowadays with our cars as they are usually second cars used in the summer, weekends, evening outings etc. We have a TV program in Canada called Marketplace on the CBC network that investigates consumer issues. After a series of tire blow outs on Ford vehicles across North America that the tire company attributed to low pressures/old tires (over 7 years) they did a episode on tires. It seemed the safe tire life was 7 years. The average mileage one turns in a year is 12,000 miles so the meant 84,000 miles on a set of tires so many tires never reached that 7 year mark. With second and third vehicles being more common now as well as collector cars, better suspensions, retirement and locations that don't require much travel (such as living on an island) a lot of cars never reach worn out state. Something to be aware of is they found that a lot of uncommon tire sizes (which I would think ours is) there were brand new tires coming out of the warehouses that were older than seven years due to incorrect stock rotation. When you buy tires, check the manufacture date on the side of tire (four digit code, first two are the week, last two are the year).
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Tamas Petrunin
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Tamas Petrunin » 19 Jul 2017 18:36

Beans wrote:Depending on driving style they should last somewhere between 5.000 and 10.000 km on the public road

That's perfectly acceptable to me, I used to use the A509's and the later A539's and if I got 5,000miles from a pair on the front I was more than happy. That was on a tuned up VW caddy pickup with around 140bhp at the front wheels and I drove it fairly hard. The pair on the back lasted ages as all they basically did was stop the rear dragging on the road.
Cheers TP
Driving a V8 Inca Yellow fhc, now begins the endless quest of tinkering...