Anonymous

Mystery Cable

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
UKPhilTR7
TRiffic

Mystery Cable

Postby UKPhilTR7 » 02 Jul 2017 07:48

Today, I went to start up my girl and she was really rough when starting for a bit. With the choke out, she would cut out after a few seconds. Nothing would stop her cutting out at the start, choke, gas, praying, nothing. So finally, I got her started (running rough) and I looked around the engine bay while trying to feed her gas from the carb linkage. I noticed a constant spark towards the back of the block near the gearbox. The spade connector in the picture below was touching the block and sparking.

I am not sure what this cable/connector is for, but I think it may be to do with the dizzy and the old points, which is no longer being used as I have an electronic ignition. Now I have a female connector on it to stop it from touching the block until I know what it is for.

Does anyone know what this wire is for and where it goes?

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Re: Mystery Cable

Postby Monkeyzak » 02 Jul 2017 08:51

I had the same issue with a couple of stray wires. Apparently mine were from the factory fitted electronic ignition. Long broken and replaced. Also not taped up and sparking.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 02 Jul 2017 19:39

White/slate is the feed to the distributor. Presumably your electronic ignition has superseded it. There should also be a similar wire from the coil to the tach.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 02 Jul 2017 20:19

If it is the coil wire it goes to a multi plug on the Lhs of the gearbox tunnel if you wish to disconnect it.Beware as the oil pressure lamp wire is similar in colour whilst grovelling in the footwell.Steve..