Anonymous

Type of exhaust

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Type of exhaust

Postby Monkeyzak » 26 Jun 2017 14:38

The centre section of my exhaust has been replaced badly. No paste appears to have been used and one end is badly deformed so it doesn't seal. Nor can I get it off ( my local garage tried too). The back box is blowing but now patched. I'm thinking it's not worth welding it up and just replace it.

Rimmers seem expensive but robsport have 2 stainless steel exhausts listed. One is a sport. One standard. Is there any advance to one over the other?

Went in to a custom place. They said £340 for them to make one.

What's best to replace it with?

Driving the car to work as often as possible. It handles much better on the b roads than I was expecting!! And it could probably do with new springs and shocks. Also still got 13inch wheels.

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Re: Type of exhaust

Postby Hasbeen » 26 Jun 2017 15:18

Can't help you with the exhaust, mine is a local built unit.

However I can help you with suspension. One of the great things about a 7 is the way it's suspension will soak up the irregularities of our & I assume your country roads.

From your post I assume you are thinking about going to larger wheels, lower profile tyres & perhaps suspension mods. DON"T DO IT, if you travel the back roads.

I have a very well modified 8, lots of power, heavy duty springs, heavy adjustable shocks, lowered, 15" wheels, very big brakes, & all the rest.

Both the 7 & the 8 have 30% heavier anti roll bars, but the 7 is otherwise stock but reset springs. This & perhaps the brakes are the only modifications suitable for back road driving. Having both, & doing much of my driving on less than highway standard roads, I feel qualified to say this.

My 7 will leave the 8 for dead on such roads. Not by as much perhaps as the 8 will leave the 7 for dead on nice smooth fast roads, but that is not what we are talking about here. My 7 is also the best normal road car I have ever driven on gravel back roads. It's handling with the big bag 13" tyres, on really lose gravel is an utter joy, the best I have ever driven. I come from the era when you could see a car coming from miles away, by the huge dust cloud on most Oz roads, so have some experience.

Hasbeen

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 26 Jun 2017 20:31

I am looking at a custom made exhaust now. After fitting kit it's not a massive difference in price. I think about £300 here.

I was thinking of new wheels but I like the compomotive alloys I have. So will likely do a refurb.

Wasn't sure about updated springs. Was just thinking fresh springs and shocks. They have both been on a long time. I tend to drive back roads mostly.

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 27 Jun 2017 08:38

Remember to tell your insurance company if you do go for a non-standard exhaust. The sports exhaust won't make any difference to the performance of your car unless you also fit the sports manifold and that is fraught with danger given the propensity for the slant 4 engine to blow the exhaust gaskets out (where fitted), particularly at number 4 cylinder. The superior TriumphTune system and extractor manifold are no longer available but the cheapo sports exhaust and manifold is adequate enough. If you do ultimately go down the sports exhaust route and also fit the matching manifold I recommend having studs welded into the cylinder head to get over the frequent blowing problems. It also may be worthwhile angle grinding out the metal in between each of the branches of the manifold where it mates to the head as it's not flexible enough once installed but great for actually making the manifold fit to the head in the first place.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 27 Jun 2017 11:54

I read the last post john_c and I think do I need the hassle? No. I'll get a standard exhaust off the shelf or custom made the same. I just want to leave most things as standard as I don't need the hassle.

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 27 Jun 2017 13:13

or, if you are ignorant of the finer points like me, just fit one!

My car came with a tubular manifold when I bought it years ago. That then went into holes at the Y junctions which reduced the performance amazingly. I just bought another second hand one and fitted it with a gasket (the standard manifold is not supposed to need a gasket). It has been fine for the past 3 or 4 years even though one of the bolts has a dubious thread into the head. I did look at helicoiling it but there was no access and I did not want to take the engine out.

(Touch wood it does not blow out on the way to Gaydon, will blame John for suggesting it).
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC