Anonymous

Hazard flasher

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Milanoverde
Rust Hunter

Hazard flasher

Postby Milanoverde » 03 Jun 2017 23:14

I replaced the hazard flasher in my tr7 with one sourced from Moss. Still no work! The new one is round where the old one was rectangular so it doesn't fit into the clip. Could this be the problem? Lack of ground? Anthony

Cobber
TRemendous

Re: Hazard flasher

Postby Cobber » 04 Jun 2017 01:18

Naaah, it wont be that, your problem will be elsewhere, the hazard switch is a likely candidate.
Bloody Lucas rubbish, the contacts are probably green and furry!
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 04 Jun 2017 10:37

I feel sorry for Mr Lucas - he probably did not factor in people still diddling about with his switches 40 years after they were designed....
Soft top cars are always a bit more open to the elements and humidity which tarnishes the contacts i guess.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 04 Jun 2017 12:29

littlepippin wrote:I feel sorry for Mr Lucas - he probably did not factor in people still diddling about with his switches 40 years after they were designed....
Soft top cars are always a bit more open to the elements and humidity which tarnishes the contacts i guess.

Poor old Mr Lucas had bugger all to do with our cars.
By the time our cars were built, there would've been nothing left of him in his grave but an old chassis :lol: !
It's the faceless corporate bean counters, that were responsible for the third world quality of the Lucas rubbish in our cars. :x

My car is a FHC, without the exposure to the elements of a soft top......yet, still the electrics were bloody awful! :shock:
Where possible I've replaced the Lucas crap with stuff that actually works, and I've used relays to take the load off the remaining Lucas switch gear. :D
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Sautie
Rust Hunter

Postby Sautie » 05 Jun 2017 10:08

Poor Mr Lucas.
When I bought my 8 some 15 years ago my electrics were a disaster. I took it to a motor Electrician that was recommended in Edenvale (South Africa). The owner took one look under the bonnet and said this has been worked on by a BMW or Merc trained electrician. It turned out that he had been a Lucas apprentice and all problems were soon solved. He subsequently sorted out problems, in minutes on my daughter's 7 and another 8.
When asked to explain he said that the Lucas logic was totally different from BMW or Merc Logic and once you understood Lucas logic all was OK.
Moral of the story ?
Go to a Lucas trained Electrician.

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 05 Jun 2017 14:45

My car is 36 years old, and the Lucas electrical system is working just fine. No additional relays or replacement switchgear required - just cleaning contacts, earth points and replacing bad work by previous owners. It is part of the charm of owning an old sports car ? I can't imagine that British Leyland were expected to design and manufacture vehicles whose components had a 35 year lifespan - probably 10 years, 15 years at the most.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 06 Jun 2017 15:08

What littlepippin said. Going on 10 years on original 37 year old electrics after cleaning with no electrical issues. Copper wire strand(s) broke on a clip from dimmer to instrument lighting (did several removals of centre console before that happened) which was fixed with soldering iron after opening original clip, oh and the brake light switch failed due to corrosion on rotating disc but the was a Delco unit, replaced it with more reliable Lucas from my other 7 that's waiting resto. Always say, wish my Acura and Toyota was as reliable.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT