Anonymous

Running very hot

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Re: Running very hot

Postby littlepippin » 29 May 2017 08:46

That is interesting as it says the thermostat should never be removed as the system will quickly boil. Except it doesn't.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 29 May 2017 15:35

That is true but you only get part of the coolant being directed to the rad instead of all of it if the foot isn't there to block off the rad bypass. There is a bit of safety built in but as ambient temp's rise, excessive amounts of idling (stop & go), less effective rad (sediment/corrosion build up), you take away this safety margin until you have over heating. The TR6 also uses the Triumph foot (which is where I first read about it) one of the TR6 forums had an article on it and overheating. If they use it, presumably earlier models did as well hence them calling it the "Triumph foot").
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 29 May 2017 17:13

I diagnosed sludge on my radiator after the temp gauge started running higher in stop / start traffic.

I bought an inexpensive infra red monitor from Maplins to check the temperatures across the radiator and that the thermostat was opening correctly. On the basis that ice melts at O'c, water boils at 100'c and the 82'c thermostat opened at an indicated 83'c on the housing it was reasonably accurate and Not bad for £8.00 :D

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pocket-infrar ... eter-n19fr

With the engine up to temperature on the drive I took readings from the bottom of the rad upwards. (Electric pusher fan, no viscous fan) The bottom rows on the exit side of my rad were about 18'c below those at the top indicating a partial blockage. After a thorough clean top, middle and bottom were within a couple of degrees of each other.