Anonymous

Another year another MOT

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
busheytrader
TRemendous

Another year another MOT

Postby busheytrader » 02 May 2017 15:20

But with an advisory for the left front wheel bearing sounding "rough under rotation"

Since the last one I've cleaned all the electrical connections including the fuses to keep the windscreen wipers going, and an electronic flasher unit. New rocker cover gaskets, vacuum hoses and O ring at the top of the dipstick to help keep the oil inside the engine. A new Holley baseplate and spindle set as the old one was wearing out.

I must have done something right as the emissions were well inside the limits to impress the tester.

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, S/S Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear Axle, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes all round, Anti- Dive, Strut-Top Roller Bearings, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 14" 5 Spokes or Maestro Turbo 15" Alloys, Cruise Lights, S/S Heater Pipes, Replacement Fuel Tank. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1990 courtesy of S&S V8 conversion kit (built not bought) and big brake kit.

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Re: Another year another MOT

Postby littlepippin » 07 May 2017 10:11

Mine just passed last week. I hate that time of year, I'm like an expectant father and I dread the refusals and hefty bills for work.
I couldn't wait to see how it was going, and went back round to the garage whilst it was still being tested. Got a flea in the ear from the tester, who was NOT HAPPY I interupted his work. Seriously not happy.
Anyway, it passed with only 3 minor advisories. So pleased I cant tell you.
I'm already worrying about the next one in 11 months....

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 07 May 2017 12:24

Well done Sean, I dread it too, never know what they might find. Mine is in July, just booked for Gaydon on 1st/2nd July and will get it MOT'd mid June so hope it gets through OK.
Alan
Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Auto Estate Stage 1
Saab 9-3 2.0 SE Turbo Convertible
'81 TR7 DHC

toneinblack
Rust Hunter

Postby toneinblack » 07 May 2017 14:39

Mine is booked in for its mot tomorrow morning at 10AM, Been out cleaning earth's as when I put the sidelights on and brakes the rear sidelight slightly dims , tried switching bulbs from other side and still the same,

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 08 May 2017 04:40

Ah the joy of the Queensland system.

We only require a road worthy inspection when a car changes hands.

We do wonder a bit sometimes, when they find someone in an old Ford with the drivers seat screwed to the sheet of plywood, covering the big rust hole in the bottom of the thing.

Hasbeen

dursleyman
TRiffic

Postby dursleyman » 08 May 2017 17:18

I must be lucky then, as the guys at the garage I go to actually get me to help with the test, usually sitting in the car working switches, pressing brake pedal etc. I also take the chance for a better poke around undeneath than I can get in my own garage. They are very much an "old school" kind of place that would not be out of keeping in a 1970s film - apart from the emmissions and brake testers.
Russ

1981 TR7 Sprint DHC & 1977 TR7 Sprint FHC
Dursley
UK

http://tr7russ.blogspot.co.uk/

Image Image

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 08 May 2017 23:19

I get the same experience. The testers are interested in whatever work I've done in the last year. They know our cars so test the wipers and indicators with the engine running. :)

As far as I'm aware MOT stations have to provide a spectator area so you can see the test taking place. In recent years this has included the driver's seat, underneath the car with the tester looking for potential leaks and next to the exhaust analyser for the levels. If I was getting a hard time from the garage I'd go elsewhere. The MOT garage is 45 minutes drive from where I live and if they weren't such helpful happy chappies I'd go somewhere local.

Adam

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 20 May 2017 19:31

I replaced the front wheel bearing, more messy and fiddly than difficult. At least taper bearings don't need a hydraulic press for the job.

It also cured a rear end transmission noise that I'd been trying to locate for a while. :?: The same noise that made me replace the rubber gearbox mount and gave me a gearbox noise 100 times greater. I even had passengers listen for the noise who all said it came from between the gearbox and the rear axle and not the front. There was no noticeable play in the front wheel bearings when I last serviced the wedge and no noise when spinning the wheels by hand but thanks to the MOT highlighting a slight roughness, it's gone.

toneinblack
Rust Hunter

Postby toneinblack » 21 May 2017 10:48

Mine passed 2nd time, Failed the first time on wheel bearing on front passenger side ( that wheel was loose and just needed tightening up, emissions to rich - had it sorted , front drivers side flexible brake pipe leaking so both sides replaced, and bad earth on rear light , turned out all earth's just needed a good clean.