Anonymous

Seeking info on shocks/dampers

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
sheetsofsound
Rust Hunter

Seeking info on shocks/dampers

Postby sheetsofsound » 28 Jul 2014 04:32

One of the cars I have was acquired from a hoarder. Car parts - his house was full of them. He would only meet at 11:00pm and he basically filled my truck - in the dark - with a mish-mash of parts, some (not much) of it NOS. He had sold the house and the next day he abandoned the place, leaving all the stuff behind and is apparently living in the UK somewhere. The new owners were extremely upset with the mess, but wouldn't let me help them out by taking the remaining parts. They sent them all to the junkyard. I have been working my way through the stuff I got and am now looking at the shocks he gave me. My current TR7 has terrible shocks so I am looking to replace them.

The ones on the left are singles, so not much use unless I get another to match. The ones on the right are pairs: Columbus, Monroe, and KYB. Do any of these look useable? It looks like the KYB's won't fit our cars due to the attachment points. The Columbus should fit the rear and the Monroes should fit the front? I am not sure how old these shocks are, but I would guess they've been sitting in boxes for at least 5 years. Do shocks lose their effectiveness just sitting on a shelf? Any advice would be appreciated.