Anonymous

An Interesting Morning

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

An Interesting Morning

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Jun 2014 21:45

I went to start the car in Thrifty's it turned over once then nothing. No dash lights, no clicks from the relays. Never had that before. Pulled the starter relay block. Nothing. Sprayed the ignition switch with contact cleaner (all I had), nothing. Measured battery, 12.5 volts (battery is new), measured battery cables, same. Positive was a little corroded. Sprayed starter relay block a few times as well as ignition switch a few times. Then it started as if nothing happened. Drove to Canadian Tire and bought battery cable protector spray ($4.99). Car would not start, totally dead. Spray starter relay block and ignition several times, happened to close the passenger door (both doors open). The ignition key started buzzing. Tried it and it started right up as if nothing happened. Drove home with still things to do.

Drove it up on ramp. Cleaned battery posts, sprayed with protector I had just bought. Pulled and cleaned with Brasso the brown wires that go in connection block and used dielectric grease. Sprayed ignition switch with silicone a number of times till it was leaking out the back, working the key in and out, on and off. The key came out quite black, I guess I had sprayed graphite some time in the past (not a good thing to do). I checked the oil leak I had, the intake hose to the throttle butterfly was soaked as well as the throttle position switch connections. There was drips on the clutch slave cylinder (below). The oil pump and pressure cover plate was dry. I replaced the oil pressure switch and sprayed the area with water based degreaser and flushed with water.

Went into town in the afternoon to get car insurance and rest of supplies and it started fine every time. Checked the oil pressure switch and still dry. We'll see if it's all fixed up. Big car show this Sunday.

I think the going dead was caused by ignition switch needing a spray (switch was new in 2007).