Anonymous

Am I the last to experience this?

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Beans
TRemendous

Re: Am I the last to experience this?

Postby Beans » 07 Jun 2016 18:56

Steve @ SandS wrote:I have to say I am at a loss to understand why anyone thinks there is a need to cut the bush to fit it.

So am I , these are the tools I use for the job. With these it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
Most important is to make sure that the last bit that needs pressing in is at the top, so it can be reached easily with the screwdriver.
And that is where the pipe wrench comes in, to prevent it from rotating or to rectify its position ...

Last edited by Beans on 26 Feb 2023 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 08 Jun 2016 20:34

Well I fitted the polybush some time back and didn't need to cut a slot in to it. I'd already moved the steering column away from the bulkhead and had warmed up the Polybush in near boiling water. It looses its heat pretty quickly but it only took a few seconds to fit.

Adam

alc59
Rust Hunter

Postby alc59 » 26 Feb 2023 13:51

I'm struggling with getting the lower steering column to move up enough to put in the new bush. I've released the clamp 2/3 the way down the column so looosening the upper column and steering wheel from the lower column. i've put mole grips on the lower shaft and been tapping them with a hammer, and this has moved the bottom shaft so that the splines at the bottom are about half way out of the universal joint but I don't seem able to move it any further.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

All advice and suggestions welcome.
Thanks
Al

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 26 Feb 2023 18:27

You have to loosen the G-clamp sitting at the top of the steering shaft, so it moves freely. It sits against the bottom of the steering column's bearing tube (top center in picture).
This should enable enough movement of the steering shaft to pull it completely free from the hole through the bulkhead. Of course you have to remove the U-joint too!
The more rectangular clamp lower down is part of the collapsible column and shouldn't be touched.

1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

alc59
Rust Hunter

Postby alc59 » 27 Feb 2023 09:02

The more rectangular clamp lower down is part of the collapsible column and shouldn't be touched.

Too late!