Anonymous

Wheel Wobble

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

Wheel Wobble

Postby FI Spyder » 25 Jul 2012 18:55

No this not the dreaded wheel wobble many of us have experienced, me included when I drove the car home from Sacramento on worn out tires. This is a subtle wobble at highway speed and also felt when going around a bend at speed. I also had a ting, ting when cornering right hard like when I took a right hand turn hard to get onto highway or hit a pot hole. I had the car up on jack stands to check the left hand strut where it seemed to be coming from (maybe exhaust bracket) but found nothing. I took off the discs and put on a set of used cross drilled and slotted discs that were given to me when I noticed the wobble. Only 10,000 miles (Km?) on them, they were slightly scored but not bad enough to bother getting them turned. I thought any play between hub and disc might make it out of round. I put a dial gauge in the edge of disc and it was out only 5 thou of an inch. Can't get it better than that. I wire brushed off the mating surface of hub to shiny with Dremel and wire brushed the alloys (with electric drill) to get out any clear silicone by the alloy mating surface from gluing in the center caps (wasn't a problem before but I was grasping at straws). Went into town today for food and it's silky smooth again although I didn't do any 60mph on our 36 mph rural roads (keep it under 45). Either it made a difference or I got lucky. Hopefully it stays that way (both). No ting ting either but I think that may be hiding.

Oh, as far as the cross drilled rotors I think I get more pedal modulation from them (I can lock all four wheels in a panic stop before). I wouldn't pay $200 for them (new) I'm not that rich, but worth taking the time to put them on.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT