Anonymous

Jubilee & Southern Skies Ltd. Edition TR7's

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 21 Feb 2012 08:50

In response to John Clancy's excellent article in the latest TRDC mag.. (sorry if you're not a member & haven't seen this - Hint.. JOIN!)

Few observations.. the black car on the front cover is RHD. The silver stripes appear to have a red pin-line, is this true? Does that car exist or is it JC's car photoshopped?

The red car in the article (ads) is LHD USA Spec but the Queen's Jubilee was more of a UK event surely? The ad says the interior is Brushed Nylon Broadcord but the picture shows red tartan Is that BL speak for the later tartan with Nyloncord being the earlier corderoy like version?. Can't tell if there is red pinlines as the car itself is red but it looks like there may be.

As for making a replica? Well JC's car is already black and sometimes mistaken for a Jubilee so...? Also it appears that Chris Turner already has a real one, just need to put the stripes on!

Ltd. Edition Display.. would also need a USA Anniversary Edition dhc. There is one in the UK somewhere as one was for sale for quite a while on the south coast about a year ago.

Southern Skies.. Apart from the Java green one pictured in a junkyard in the US a few years ago this would seem to have vanished without trace. Anybody knowing of a restorable one in the USA please feel free to contact me!

regards Steve

RUDDY
Swagester

Postby RUDDY » 21 Feb 2012 11:07

Steve, my impression was that the car on the front cover is Johns car with the stripes photoshopped on from the red advert, hence the red pinstripe.

Cheers, Paul

gaz
TRemendous

Triumph TR7 Jubilee Edition & TR7 Southern Skies Edition TR7's

Postby gaz » 21 Feb 2012 11:30

I have been thinking about the southern skies recently and wondering if the peugeot 205 sliding roof could be adapted looks similar to me

ImageImageImageImage

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 21 Feb 2012 12:36

No, it's a genuine car. Any red is the reflection from the flames all around it!

elsberry
Rust Hunter

Postby elsberry » 21 Feb 2012 14:37

There are in fact a handful of Southern Skies cars still in existence in the states. I know of at least one that is still in operation and driven daily. Whether it is for sale or not, I don't know.

I have seen the green car referenced earlier in person, and it's in rather poor condition. It doesn't have any perforated rust through yet, but would require a full restoration. It is about two hours from my house and the salvage yard is willing to sell the car to a motivated buyer.

I went to see the car for a couple of reasons.

The TWOA is working with a vendor who is eager to reproduce the Southern Skies stripe sets if someone can provide the specifics on the decals to the mm in the appropriate digital format. With the car being reasonably close, I went out and took both additional photos and video of the car.

There will be an article on the Java Green car with new photos and additional details in an upcoming issue of the TWOA newsletter that is sent to members, I just have to finish writing the article and put it into the newsletter.

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 21 Feb 2012 15:14

Well I had to ask didn't I? Thanks for your response and I look forward to the day when a Southern Skies can join my VE. Better start saving again!
Regards Steve.

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

TR7 Victory Stripes

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 21 Feb 2012 15:24

My TR7 Victory stripes are NOS from eBay USA. Forget the vendor but I'm sure he's still there selling the "last one ever". Other stripe kits are on there but nothing like Jubilee I don't think. You'd probably have to have them made from scratch I suspect.

Although the VE was never sold in Australia the VE stripe kit is commonly found on Australian TR7's I believe and I think that the sunroof only from Sskies also can be found there. Might just fit in your luggage!

Steve

elsberry
Rust Hunter

Postby elsberry » 21 Feb 2012 17:10

I can't speak for the NOS items, nor the specific vendor as it maybe someone different. I do know Jim, Wayne, and I reviewed brand new stock materials that the vendor provided of different types of Triumph wedge stripes and decals, printed on 3M stock, and reviewed color samples as well, and they were top notch items. I have held them in my hand and looked at them, so I know those are new, and not NOS.

With that said, these were NOT Jubilee stripes, and those particular stripes may very well be NOS, in which case they are most likely useless to go on a car with the age of them.

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

TR7 Victory Edition

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 21 Feb 2012 17:18

I have had 2 sets of 'VE' Stripes now over the last couple of years, both NOS I believe, going by the dates etc. on the boxes. (got me wondering now!) Both were probably as good as the day they were made. That's all I know.

Steve

elsberry
Rust Hunter

TR7 Victory Stripes

Postby elsberry » 21 Feb 2012 17:37

Really? I'm surprised, but hey, I've never had a set of NOS stripes lying around to look at either.

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 21 Feb 2012 17:41

Hi Steve,

How about this roof for a start, shouldnt be too difficult to remove!! a good push should do it.

Triumph TR7 Southern Skies Edition Roof.jpg
Triumph TR7 Southern Skies Edition Roof.jpg (122.04 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

Cheers John

ImageImageImage Image
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!

1976 Speke FHC Beauty

1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!

elsberry
Rust Hunter

Postby elsberry » 21 Feb 2012 17:43

Or a good strong wind perhaps?

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 21 Feb 2012 18:03

Look how much is gone from the rear deck.. and how much is left of the nose-cone of the car in the foreground? These cars really are dissolving.. where is this?

Steve

trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Postby trekcarbonboy » 21 Feb 2012 18:43

BL storage lot circa 1976. Cars waiting for a spot of filler and paint, then off to the dealer.

Craig '75 2.0 FHC

elsberry
Rust Hunter

Postby elsberry » 21 Feb 2012 19:01

Oh!!! That's SO wrong!

Seriously though, those cars must be near the coast somewhere. I've seen that happen, but not that quickly unless the car was near a body of salt water constantly.