Anonymous

Cloudy Soft Top Windows

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

Cloudy Soft Top Windows

Postby FI Spyder » 15 Apr 2011 15:18

Initially 2006/2007/2008 my original 30 year old soft top windows where clear but over a winter I had put a generous amount of Maguires Rubber and Vinyl Restorer on to soak in over the winter to try to soften the stiffer vinyl. At the first spring rain shower it washed the excess off and turned the windows cloudy, not bad but not as clear as they were. I'd tried over the remaining years, Plexus, T&K Plastic cleaner and nothing took it off. This year I tried some Maquires Plastic Polish. It got rid of the cloudy and restored them to their former glory. It took a lot of elbow grease, lightly at first as it absorbed the dirt from last years top down driving (don't use my top cover as it's shrunk and stiffer top doesn't fold down as well as a new hood might.) I highly recommend it. While the T&K worked well at keeping the clear windows clear it didn't seem to remove the cloudy. The Maquires bottle says it will remove the yellow as well I can't attest to that as my windows aren't yellow.

I used a soft fleece type cotton cloth to apply, keep rubbing in circular motions until nearly dry (despite warnings imprinted on left rear window) and then buffed it lightly with piece of old T shirt to remove balance.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spitfire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT