Anonymous

Speedo not working

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Re: Speedo not working

Postby Monkeyzak » 30 May 2017 13:25

Hi

Sorry. My explanation wasn't great. The cable will be fine and already lubricated. Should I skoosh some into the hole in the gearbox and the back of the Speedo?

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 30 May 2017 15:45

I have a tube of speedo cable lubricant. It is a heavy oil/light grease type stuff that I suspect has graphite in it. I've read many years ago that the top 6" or so of the speedo cable should only be lightly greased as it will migrate up and into the speedo head causing problems with the head. I have worked on cars for many years now (as a hobby), I repaired office equipment as a profession and it is not unusual to for simple jobs to turn into lengthy ones as things don't always go smoothly. The first time you do a job it takes a long time with repeats taking less each time (all things being equal). It takes how long it takes. Enjoy the process and a job completed. Easier to say if the car is second car and not a daily driver.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 02 Jun 2017 22:11

Finally fixed with no needle jump since I cleaned the speedo with electrical contact cleaner

littlepippin
Rust Hunter

Postby littlepippin » 03 Jun 2017 12:48

Could you explain a bit more how you cleaned the speedo with contact cleaner ? I need to tackle the old "30 mph wiggle" hopefully by just laying upside down under the dash, and applying an appropriate spray and getting it in my eyes to lubricate them at the same time. Not sure about spraying right inside the actual instrument though... ?

cheers, Sean.

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Re: Speedo ndot working

Postby Monkeyzak » 03 Jun 2017 17:22

I lay with my head under it. Sprayed then wiped out with cotton buds. There was so much crap coming out. No wonder the cable was slipping or snagging. The previous cable snapped as it was trapped. The spray I used is for cleaning electrical and precision equipment. Halfords own brand stuff

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... electrical

Monkeyzak
Rust Hunter

Postby Monkeyzak » 03 Jun 2017 17:48

I did give it a few bursts in the back where the cable goes. Possibly better check if that's ok with someone better than me!