Anonymous

26th April Drive it day

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
john
TRiffic

26th April Drive it day

Postby john » 17 Apr 2009 16:09

DRIVE IT OR LOSE IT!

Until the potential exists for the green vote outnumbering real world consumers, one would hope that the unacceptably subsidised politicians of whatever side of the decreasing divide are unlikely to hit the collector vehicle movement with further stealth taxation or, worst of all, introduce insurmountable legislation which could deny 'Old-timer' access to the public highway altogether. All the more important, therefore, for those of us who are addicted to the cause is to get out there and be seen to be using our ancient wheels, and to do so preferably on a regular basis, of course.

If this is not possible, however, then at least get de-SORN'd, MOT certificated, take advantage of that free of charge Road Fund Tax exempt disc facility (whilst it lasts!) and get out there on the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs' inspired and now annual 'Drive it Day', which, this year, takes place on Sunday 26 April, and which is really all about retaining the hard won right to exercise an old car on the roads. The FBHVC, who represent 450 Motor Clubs and Museums as well as 1500 Trade and individual supporters, and who fight our corner on historic motor car matters in Whitehall and in Brussels, are having their own 'Drive It Day' meet at the Royal Oak, Bishopstone, near Shrivenham, where, I understand from the Federation, the landlord is old car friendly.

Alternatively, those in Bedfordshire or surrounding counties could consider homing in on the Vauxhall Heritage Centre, who are also holding their 'Open Day' to coincide with 'Drive it Day'. Apart from offering a meet fellow enthusiasts parking facility with auto-jumble tables, GM's British subsidiary will be providing visitors 10.30am-4.30pm with an annual free-of-charge chance to check out the company's 50 Griffin-badged classics in Park Street, Luton (LU1 3ET), just behind the Griffin House headquarters building in Osborne Road.

Whether you are private punter or trader, during Sunday lunchtime on the 26th I would suggest, do please drive something interesting down to your real ale local or café with suitable car park. Cold call a few mates or clients so that you can maybe turn out en-classic, en-masse - if fine, make it a spring picnic perhaps. For apart from waving the green flag of continued freedom for being able to play with big boys toys in public, and maybe recruiting other nostalgics to our fold, you might even encounter somebody who makes you an offer that you cannot possibly refuse! Remember, if you don’t use it, you could lose it.

this was lifted from the classic cars for sale web site and explains the day and it's purpose very well.

As you will be aware the Triumphs in the South here have a run throught the forest on this day every year

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 17 Apr 2009 19:15

Don't forget your video camera John - Spitfires and GT6's a preference this year!!!

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 18 Apr 2009 16:00

John C - slightly off thread but a friend of mine has the very first Mk3 GT6 built, chassis number 1, it was the Turin Motor Show car I believe, may have been 1973? The car is a very good tidy example, he has owned it for many years.

Anyway, he lives in South Devon, near Sidmouth, so not that far from you. If the car might be of interest & you want to get in touch with him in the future let me know.

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!</font id="size1">

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 18 Apr 2009 16:27

Tony - an email is on the way!

If I was any closer to the big Triumph run on the 26th I'd certaily be there but I have to do so much travelling now to put these Triumph DVD's together it's just not practical. Have a great time everyone who is going and make sure we get plenty of reports and photos!

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

wedggie perrin
Wedge Pilot

Postby wedggie perrin » 18 Apr 2009 18:54

What big triumph run?

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 18 Apr 2009 19:19

This one:

http://www.triumphnewforestrun.co.uk/

Good day out - but you have to pre book your entry.

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!</font id="size1">