Anonymous

Classic Le Mans weekend

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
Howard
Wedgling

Classic Le Mans weekend

Postby Howard » 19 Feb 2008 12:52

The North Wales area of the TR drivers club has organized a trip through the TSSC / TR registar clubs to the Classic Le Mans race this July. Currently four TR7’s and eight people are travelling down from the North West to Portsmouth on Thus 10th July (catching the mid-night ferry to Caen).
This will be the second trip the area has made over to this fantastic event and we are all looking forward to the racing, warm beer and Jambon baguettes! Anyone driving to the event would be very welcome to join our group in the UK and or France.
When booked there were currently around 200 Truimph cars / over 800 people already booked by the TSSC organisers so there should a fantastic atmosphere at the “Triumph campsite.â€￾
Anyone wanting further information / costs should check out either the TSSC or registar websites.

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 19 Feb 2008 18:36

Howard,

I can add one more to the list, inca yellow TR7 dhc and going by the registers forum the triumph field is full. Hopefully out of the 200 triumph cars there must be some more to add to the list.

You still can find alternative options for this event for example Continental car tours.

Follow this link for Howard report on the last trip we made to this excellant event.

http://www.trdrivers.com/classic_le_man ... ekend.html

Jim Johnson

Wayne S
Swagester

Postby Wayne S » 20 Feb 2008 10:04

Im doing the doubke this year, the poor TR has to do the slog to Le Mans twice in 4 weeks! Im off to the Le Mans 24 Hour in June before the classic in July. Supporting the Gulf Aston Martin team from Banbury Best!

Im booked in through the TSSC into the Triumph camping at Tetre Rouge for Classic Le Mans. Travelling Portsmouth - Caen. Even have a ticket for a lap around the track as well, should be fun. Cant wait!

Purple 2.0 Litre DHC Grinnal

Howard
Wedgling

Postby Howard » 20 Feb 2008 11:25

Hi Wayne, we’ve also booked for the track time. Can’t wait too drive the circuit in the V8! Hopefully we should have a couple of cameras on board all the TR’s so should have some good footage of our laps.

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 21 Jun 2008 08:28

Howard,

Looking at the responces confirmed, looks like 6 TR7's going most of them with V8's fitted.

It's four week ends away now, anymore form the furum going?

Jim

Ianftr8
Swagester

Postby Ianftr8 » 21 Jun 2008 10:54

Im going too, will be there with five other TRs from Essex. will be on the first Speed ferry out from Dover to Boulogne on the Thursday and coming back at 8.50pm on the Tuesday.
We will be with the TSSC on Saturday night and look forward to some good racing. I didnt go for tracklaps so I will find somewhere good to watch and take lots of photos.
Have just been back at work for two days after returning from the 24 hour race, the best race for several years.

One thing I did notice though, was how carefully people were driving to and from Le Mans there were Police everywhere and if you get caught speeding it now counts on your UK license!!!

Cheers
Ian

Ian Freeman
1979 TR8 DHC California car that never crossed the pond
1962 Triumph Courier

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 25 Jun 2008 20:44

Just looking at the TR Register forum, theres two tickets etc available for the classic Lemans.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/ind ... opic=14746

Just incase anyone interested?

Ianftr8
Swagester

Postby Ianftr8 » 16 Jul 2008 13:27

Got back at midnight last night - another brilliant weekend, 1200 miles of fun.
Thursday rained all the way down to our digs, car was still not right after last weeks MOT adventure - but we made it!
Friday made the trip to the track, spent most of the day looking at the cars and talking to freinds.
Saturday my mates left the farmhouse at 6am to get to track intime for their 3 laps, I arrived later to find 8 blokes as excited as a bunch of gibbons after their own mini race! watched the "Le Mans" start of the first group. Spent most of the afternoon at "Tetre Rouge" watching an amazing mixture of cars of all ages.
Sunday - my car by now back in tune and running like a dream, spent my time watching the racing, doing the museum and meeting freinds. Returned to Tetre rouge for last two rounds - dont you just love the soud of those V8's, Rain started at 3.50 so we pulled over the covers and watched the last few laps. 4pm last race over - where did everybody go? the place seemed to clear as if by magic.
Monday - a day of rest "Bastile day" in France so most of the shops were shut, having found a small supermarket open we topped up on the beers and returned to the farm for an afternoons fishing and catch up on sleep. I'm no good at line fishing so I had a go at trawling with the landing net, great fun and even better when a started catching cray fish - much better to eat!.
Tuesday, the run home an easy run with two hours in the middle set aside for a rather agreable lunch.

Roll on 2010

Cheers
Ian

PS Good to meet up with all the freinds - collected new stainless steel wheel nuts from Fin and great to speak with Wayne who had brought his "Monster" down for the weekend.

Ian Freeman
1979 TR8 DHC California car that never crossed the pond
1962 Triumph Courier

Wayne S
Swagester

Postby Wayne S » 16 Jul 2008 14:15

I second Ians experience of Classic Le Mans. It was the Monsters second trip down to Le Mans in as many months and it nearly made both trouble free.

Travelled down with TSSC North East on Thursday to get the overnight ferry and had a very wet run up to Le Mans on Friday. Sun shone for the rest of the weekend though more or less.

Met up with lots of familiar faces, good to see you Ian and pleased your TR8 is back to its usual reliability.

Highlight for me was doing the track laps. Got a clear run down the Mulsanne straight with the V8 pulling like a train 4800RPM in 5th gave me 140MPH [:D] with plenty left to go before I ran out of raod before the first chicane and my cheeks hurt afterwards from all the manic grinning id been doing. Need to uprate the brakes though as even with 4 pot calipers and green stuff pads I still got horrendous brake fade by the end of lap 2.
Came out of the esses up to the dunlop bridge, floored it in 2nd and fishtailed and wheelspun right under the famous Dunlop bridge,while the rear tyres warmed and found traction - what a feeling.

The car didnt even get to half way on temp, but on return to the campsite noticed it was loosing oil on idle leaving a big puddle underneath. Diagnosis was that the extreme crankcase pressures on track had blown my front pulley oil seal in the timing cover clean out of its housing and it was hanging on the shaft. Drifted it back in though with the help of my dads comprehensive array of tools and made it home without so much as a drip.

Will treat her too a clean sump of oil and a fresh pulley seal this week. Amazing how smooth the engine felt after the track laps though, its as if everything came together and the car came off idling and purring smoother than ever. And the MPG? I calculated it at about 6 MPG on the track laps (22 on the road). Thats ruined my carbon footprint for the year!

Great weekend - Malvern next!

Purple 2.0 Litre DHC Grinnall
Red 4.0 Litre V8 DHC Grinnall (with huuuuuge arches...!)

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 16 Jul 2008 18:11

Excellant weekend camping with all the other Triumph's from the TSSC & TR Register.
The laps around the Le Mans circuit a must for anyone going to this event.

I was counting the Wedges over the weekend and was around the 25+ which is loads up from the last visit to this event in 2004 of only about 5.

Jim