Anonymous

Stoneleigh

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 13 Feb 2008 14:37

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">GRD was parked a few cars along but was a bit dirty and obviously didn't merit a picture <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sorry, I must have somehow missed it... email me a pic and I'll put it on. Might still be in the camera though, I'll check later.

John.. mutual appreciation society???

Tony thanks for bringing the brochures... enjoy the limbo dancing?

<ul><b><li>Ex BL Development TR8 (Rally Replica).</li>
<li>The First and Only UK TR7 "Victory Edition" (Now Sold) </li>
<li>Ex-BL/Safety Devices Development 8v Rally Car.</li>
<li>"The Shape of things to Come" Trailer.</b></li></ul> Image

<b><font color="blue">http://www.croyde-bay.com/triumph.htm</font id="blue"></b>

<b><font color="blue">croydebay@aol.com</b></font id="blue">

gordon kerr
Swagester

Postby gordon kerr » 13 Feb 2008 16:51

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by croydebay</i>

Sorry, I must have somehow missed it... email me a pic and I'll put it on. Might still be in the camera though, I'll check later.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font color="green">S'ok I was only trying to wind you up a bit (hence the [;)]) When I thought a bit more about it I must have been parked next to Kevin/Rob's dhc as they followed me in and looking at the pictures there is a completely different car (a Stag?) there so I think you probabaly took your pics after I had gone home and someone else had slipped into the gap I left. Didn't actually stop too long at the show - a couple of tours round each hall and I'd had enough so decided to head home while the sun was still out and I could have a good drive [:D]</font id="green">

<font color="green">Gordon
GRD 1980 Brooklands Green 2l FHC
OVC 1980 Platinum Silver 3.9l V8 FHC
Bedford, UK.
</font id="green">

paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 13 Feb 2008 18:58

Great photo's,Steve.I especially liked the silver Spit in the shed.
What did you guys think of the 16v yellow spit in the hall? I thought
it was very cleverly engineered,almost as if that engine was meant to
be in there.The more i see them,(Spits & GT6's)the more i want one.
Are you keeping the gold steels on your rally car? I think they look
great. The 'shape of things' trailer is ace,is it original B.L. or
did you build it?

See ya. Paul

Wayne S
Swagester

Postby Wayne S » 13 Feb 2008 19:13

[quote]<i>Originally posted by gordon kerr</i>

<font color="green">GRD was parked a few cars along but was a bit dirty and obviously didn't merit a picture [;)]</font id="green">
<font color="green">Gordon
GRD 1980 Brooklands Green 2l FHC
OVC 1980 Platinum Silver 3.9l V8 FHC
Bedford, UK.
</font id="green">

Dont worry, nobody seemed to notice the second barn full of cars next door either and I ve not made into any pictures. Which is a shame since I forgot my camera ! Will have to get there earlier next year but was too busy organising the convoy of younger triumoh enthusiasts out on the M1.[8D]

Purple 2.0 Litre DHC Grinnal

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 13 Feb 2008 21:57

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by croydebay</i>

Tony thanks for bringing the brochures... enjoy the limbo dancing?

Oh yes! I did think I'd be stuck in there for the day at one point. I'm too embarrased to show you those pictures ...[:D] It's a wonderful unique car, Steve.

I am looking forward to the North Devon Triumph rally in a couple of years time ........

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue - very original & not rusty!
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Regency Red - on the road again.</font id="size1">

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 14 Feb 2008 08:05

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Great photo's,Steve.I especially liked the silver Spit in the shed.
What did you guys think of the 16v yellow spit in the hall? I thought
it was very cleverly engineered,almost as if that engine was meant to
be in there.The more i see them,(Spits & GT6's)the more i want one.
Are you keeping the gold steels on your rally car? I think they look
great. The 'shape of things' trailer is ace,is it original B.L. or
did you build it?

Must have missed the 16v spit, didn't see it at all.

The trailer came off of ebay. It was white with green wheelarches. Someone went to a lot of effort to build it. It was living in an underground garage and used to transport an MG Roadster to hillclimbs etc. It was a simple job to spray the bottom half black and put the vinyl lettering on. Lots of people claim to recognise it, each time associated with a different vehicle! The most FAQ though is, "well what is the shape of things to come then?"

As for the wheels.. I just dont know. I do fancy a set of minilites on it but there's no rush.

Steve

<b><font color="blue">http://www.croyde-bay.com/triumph.htm</font id="blue"></b>

john
TRiffic

Postby john » 14 Feb 2008 11:51

A pleasant surprise to my 200 mile round trip was to return a 25mpg figure out of the ole V8 that was sticking to around 70-80mph the whole way behind Nigel's recently required Standard TR7 it would be rather interesting to see what he returned. but unfortnuatly he didn't check his consumption

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 15 Feb 2008 10:37

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am looking forward to the North Devon Triumph rally in a couple of years time <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tony, I won't go into details but I'm very happy to say that over 6 months of negociations finally came good today.

This means that should such a thing as holding a Triumph gathering here in North Devon be considered viable then it could actually be next year! Register your interest now (as property developers say)

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 16 Feb 2008 08:21

We returned 30mpg(ish) from my bog standard TR7!!! Bog standard except for all the go-faster bits that is!

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 16 Feb 2008 15:20

Mine used no petrol at all in the 200 mile return trip! MYE passed it's MOT yesterday and me and Sam caned it like we stole it for 20 miles this afternoon! Fantastic fun, now better try and catch up on the work I was supposed to be doing!

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 16 Feb 2008 15:37

Excellent news Steve. Now what was the cause of the temporary misfire up at Stoneleigh?

And just how quick is this car now you've "caned" it?

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 16 Feb 2008 16:31

[quote]I am looking forward to the North Devon Triumph rally in a couple of years time <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tony, I won't go into details but I'm very happy to say that over 6 months of negociations finally came good today.

This means that should such a thing as holding a Triumph gathering here in North Devon be considered viable then it could actually be next year! Register your interest now (as property developers say)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Splendid news Steve! Put me down for a parking space & a cuppa[;)]

And MYE has an MOT - c'mon we need to know how it drives!

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue - very original & not rusty!
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Regency Red - on the road again.</font id="size1">

Steve-LPS-Thomas
Wedgista

Postby Steve-LPS-Thomas » 16 Feb 2008 23:09

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now what was the cause of the temporary misfire up at Stoneleigh?

And just how quick is this car now you've "caned" it?

Suspected the points and sure enough the little lumpy bit (technical term!) that opens and closes the points was awol causing the spark to short out. The car ran most of its life on electronic ignition but this packed up just as Dick decided to sell the car. He reinstalled the points but also bought a new luminition set up which came with the car.

MYE is supposed to be the project after WAC (on the road but not finished) so I was just going to push MYE back into the barn for now. I had this little devil (angel?) sitting on my shoulder whispering... "why not get it all sorted, MOT as well..."

So it came to pass that MYE went up to my local small friendly garage (run by a friend, a person who lives, eats and breathes cars.

Electronic Ignition installed, MOT... not quite run of the mill... rear lights and indicators U/S. Cause.. NO WIRING! Gearbox loose.. bolts not tightened. Rear Anti-Roll bar loose... bolts on one side already sheared off and bar held in place with SILICON! This obviously wasn't working, bolts (hi-tensile) had to be drilled out (with much difficulty) and replaced. One blown bulb found to be glued in place! One top stut mount worn but passable.

Not an MOT issue but exhaust badly fitted with almost zero ground clearance. This was expertly fettled and refitted to hug the floor giving around 3" of ground clearance. It comes pretty close to the petrol tank so a small heat shield was made up and fitted.

The boot tank has two outlets at opposite ends to make sure all the fuel flows out regardless of centrefugal force etc. and a guard/skid to protect the pipes is on the "wish list". MOT passed then but I did have to go rushing down there with the LOG BOOK as the car was not on the computer records. Now it is I'll have to tax or sorn it.

Driving impressions... well it revs very freely, 1st and 2nd gear acceleration acceptable but boring, 3rd/4th/5th gear, lots of power and torque...accelerating uphill in 5th! Heavyish steering at slow speeds becomes perfect as speed increases... in fact the whole car handles better the faster you go, it is built for speed and therefore inspires confidence at speed (WAC does not!) Obviously it is not possible to do a proper test on public roads....obviously. The driving position is perfect (except cant see indicator lights)and the seat which at first seemed to small is absolutely perfect. Brakes.. not a strong point!

Red lining it in first 3 gears will see 60 come up pretty fast but about this time the cockpit filled with blue smoke..oil all over the engine room! Think it's coming from the base of the rubber dipstick holder... tempory solution, return car to barn and cover with old sheets!