Anonymous

Anyone Going To TR Register I.W.E. Now With Pics

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
John_C
Rust Hunter

Re: Anyone Going To TR Register I.W.E. Now With Pics

Postby John_C » 13 Aug 2015 09:18

Good points Moe and as I've been involved in organizing big events myself in the past I know the time and expense that goes into something like the TR Register national. I'm concerned that the high cost of admission now has endangered the club's future nationals. I've attended many times and yes, the cost of entry has always been high but justifiable in the past given the extent of the show. As it was somewhat smaller this time and comparatively quieter I was alarmed how the main topic of conversation appeared to be the entry fee. To see so many dealers sat around with no customers and simply looking bored must surely ring alarm bells. I do speak to many dealers as I have a good relationship with many and those that were happy (and there certainly were some despite what we might get told) do not attend to make a profit, they attend mainly to showcase their company and to meet and talk to some of their customers whom they would only otherwise speak to on the telephone. But there were other dealers missing completely this year as it is no longer perceived to be worth the expense of a stand and others were saying they would not be taking a stand next year.

The TR Register national has been the biggest and best Triumph event on the calendar for a long time. I hope the club can somehow find a way to downsize things a little to get the admission fee down to try to tempt people back. Having said that I would not have selected Lincoln as a venue for any Triumph club but no doubt someone knows something I don't.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

tr8
Wedgista

Postby tr8 » 13 Aug 2015 14:21

John

It had green seats when I bought it, then I put in red ones. When I went to sell it I put the green back in as I couldn't get my asking price. Automatic coupes weren't commanding any money then. Still have the red interior as spares for the future. I do have their contact info and have been in touch, nice people. I also had a 5 speed white coupe that had a really nice red interior...wish I still had that one! Here is a picture of the ACN1081 when I sold it.

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 13 Aug 2015 16:09

Re: The cost of events. At Brits on the Beach we used to charge $10 entry fee with which you got a swag bag with good stuff in it with donated stuff by different manufacturers as well draws for donated things like tool kits etc.. It was a lot of work done by relatively few club members so we decided to simplify it with no swag bag etc. and drop the entry fee to $0. We retained the barbecue after for club members and guests, have a 50/50 draw and a couple of wine baskets with accessories which we sell tickets to those who want to participate. We make some money and donate half to local food bank. This year they wanted to charge us $250 for the first time but the club member organizers said that would come out of out food bank donation so they would be putting it in one pocket and loosing it out the other. Some one in city council had a brain and decided there would continue to be no charge. Vendors continued to pay $10 per space and all wanted to come back next year. We had voluntary food bank donations at the gate, brought in a lot of traffic to the town with increased business for the town's businesses, entries from as far away as Calgary, Alberta and Port of Vancouver, Washington (Google for travel distances). Commercial barbecues were donated, music was DJ`d by club member, parking attendants etc. were club volunteers and everyone thinks it`s one of the best events around and the price is right. Now this is small time compared to some events at 200 to 250 cars, but the grounds (a dog walk park by the beach) is crowded with people. Now the larger the event the harder to keep down costs but we`ve grown from less than 20 cars to over 200 (room for up to 300?) Nothing lasts forever, there is some building to commence this September on site and we are hard pressed to think of another site that is as good and of sufficient size. I now a lot of towns around would love a show like this on their streets but we'd like to keep the park like setting. To promote our hobby and British cars we feel you have to keep it simple, keep costs down and everybody's happy.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

sonscar
Wedge Pilot

Postby sonscar » 14 Aug 2015 13:40

What is wrong with Lincoln?.Oh it's probably up North(slightly tongue in cheek and also slightly biased),Steve..

Henry
Wedgling

Postby Henry » 14 Aug 2015 15:42

It is a bit further North, but not that much!
I'd rather spend some of the £40.00 entry fee charged at Malvern on a few gallons of fuel and enjoy a nice drive if I go to next years do :)
Thinking about it I could join the Register, about £40.00 and help, that would get me in for nothing and I'd have 12 months membership :D
All things to ponder :shock:
My Triumphs:
TR7 V8 KDM995Y Current
GT6 PUD612M still in family
TR7 V8 PLK224W Sold
TR7 donor car for PLK224W
GT6 written off
2.5 PI saloon - sold

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 15 Aug 2015 07:31

Hi,

I will be there for sure, been to IWE in Harrogate for just the day and that's a lot further north of Luton than Lincoln is !! Lincoln is easy for me, straight up the A1 OR nice drive through countryside via Peterbourgh.

I like to think the new management team at the Reg. are a bit more in tune with what members want and there has been chatter about pricing on there forum so hopefully it may be addressed, as long they don't put up weekend camping prices for members like me !!!! All these events are what you make it, cant say I was not disappointed by the lack of ' our ' car's there because I was :cry: May be next year ???

Cheers John
ImageImageImage Image

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME !

OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC - STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE A CAR APART.. BUT ... SKILLED ENOUGH TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !

1976 Speke FHC BEAUTY FITTED WITH OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

1979 3.5 FHC CURRENTLY GARDEN ART !

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!

John_C
Rust Hunter

Postby John_C » 15 Aug 2015 08:50

Lincoln is just that bit too far out of the way for most of the country. Whereas we took the near 200 mile drive from us to be with friends at Malvern (and suffered a six hour drive back) it is very unlikely we'll go as far as Lincoln. Most people in England tend to think 100 miles is far too long a journey for anything so Lincoln being where it is, is not ideal.

Maybe they'll find a more suitable venue before it's too late and make a switch. Malvern's a good venue but they're clearly paying too much for it.
The Best TR7 & TR8 Documentaries Ever Produced Available Here:
www.triumphdvd.co.uk

Maxwell
TRiffic

Postby Maxwell » 15 Aug 2015 09:33

the lack of ' our ' car's there

John - By 'Our' cars, do you mean TRDC cars or Wedges in general?
There were TR7\TR8s in attendance, but they seemed to be scattered all around the site.
Maybe a 'One-Make' parking area was needed.

Maxwell :D
3.5 TR7 DHC \ Current :D 8)
2.0 Mazda MX5 Sport

Chunk
Swagester

Postby Chunk » 16 Aug 2015 10:08

There was an area for TR7 parking on the grass next to the arena, but it was optional, as was the arena gathering.
Anyway, i got the results for the Autosolo and it looks like Chunk was first in Class C and the trophy is in the post.
Which is nice.
Class A Andrew Butcher TR7 Sprint
Fastest Overall Anthony Davis TR7 Sprint
So a good day for the TR7'.
1979 TR7V8 FHC.
DJE 4.6 Block and Heads.
25 years of tinkering and tuning......So far!
Now available in red.
Featured on John Clancy's DVD Bullet Reloaded.

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 16 Aug 2015 19:58

Hi,

Well done Phil and well deserved 8)

Andrew,

As Phil said there was dedicated parking for TR7's TR8's and TR7V8'S but not many choose to park there, I am sure far more of ' our ' cars evident other years. Guess I am as guilty as charged and left my car with North London TR Register Group most of the weekend, having said that it got lots of attention and questions whilst I was ' in camp '. Really will have to get round to post some pictures next week of all the TR7's and 8's there.

Cheers John
ImageImageImage Image

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME !

OLD SCHOOL MECHANIC - STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE A CAR APART.. BUT ... SKILLED ENOUGH TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AGAIN !

1976 Speke FHC BEAUTY FITTED WITH OVERDRIVE GEARBOX

1979 3.5 FHC CURRENTLY GARDEN ART !

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!