Anonymous

Brits on the Beach 2014

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
FI Spyder
TRemendous

Brits on the Beach 2014

Postby FI Spyder » 15 Jul 2014 21:17

Here's a few pic'a from out club'a 14th Annual car show. It was in the 80's, not a cloud the sky, a nice breeze of the ocean (if you weren't in the trees). The MG Club of Calgary showed up (they were invited when Brits 'Round BC crossed the border and they show'ed up and were invited to stay for the after show club barbecue. Over 260 cars and bikes. There was music, draws (wine baskets and vendor donations) water park for the kiddies, lots of visiting. We make a sizable donations to a Ladysmith charity in return for using the park. We even imported some UK Bobbies to keep law and order in the Wild West (actually they were advertising a British restaurant in Parksville). A good relaxing day. Every one likes coming to the show, it's free for everyone and the locals and visitors really appreciate seeing the old British cars that they rarely see on the highway.

I tried out my cassette deck in the factory radio that comes as part of the Spider edition (for the fist time in 8 years) and it worked surprisingly well even with the original wasp nest paper speakers so I had music blaring on the trip up and pulling into the park. (All my music is from the 50's, 60's, 70's and a few from the early 80's). To quote Paul Lemat from American Graffiti "Musics been going down hill since Buddy Holly died".[:p]

http://s119.photobucket.com/user/Spit999/slideshow/2014%20Brits%20on%20the%20Beach

This old Bentley (I think it is but not sure) the guy inherited it from his grandfather as he was the only kid that helped him work on it) so he shipped it to Halifax and drove from the docks across Canada to Vancouver Island. Talk about an adventure.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 16 Jul 2014 05:01

Hi,

Looks like a great show mate [8D]

There appears to be a ERA turbo Mini in picture 12, now they were put together at ERA in Dunstable Bedfordshire, next door the Austin Rover dealership I was serving my apprenticeship in at the time, she is a long way from home !

I also spotted a MGF VVC, Simon at Robsport sent a load of early MGF's out a few years back he had a yard full of them at the time, something to do with there age and importing them ???

Cheers John

ImageImageImage Image
LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!

1976 Speke FHC Beauty Now with an overdrive conversion

1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)

1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6, BUILT NOT BROUGHT !!!!

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 16 Jul 2014 13:27

In Canada you can import them if they are 15 years or older (25 in the US so they will have to wait for a bit). There is a guy in Vancouver that imports them direct from Japan. A little more complex from UK as they hit Halifax then have to rail/truck them to West Coast or ship them to Tacoma and deal with bonding them into Canada as they are illegal to import them into US.

- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 16 Jul 2014 13:53

Had an interesting talk with the guy who imported a MGR from Japan. Even though one had previously been imported and registered when he went to register it they said "There's no such car." He said "Yes, there is, it's sitting out in the parking lot". After presenting the VIN number, they said "That's not a valid VIN number". It's etched in the wind shield. He had to find a place it's on the body. Turns out it's on the trunk RH channel where ours is. Took him a couple of visits at $100 a pop for the temp plates and the girl behind the computer talking to guy at head office to get it sorted.