Anonymous

Inter club Triumph event 2013

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
john
TRiffic

Inter club Triumph event 2013

Postby john » 30 Jan 2010 19:17

ok something bieng floated around the clubs at the moment is a inter club TRIUMPH NATIONAL event

You may be interested to know that I (Graham Robsen) have recently floated a proposal for a massive inter-Triumph Club occasion at Triumph Forum level, this event to run in 2013 for the 90th Anniversary of the formation of Triumph (and, by the way, the 110th Anniversary of Standard).

The suggestion is that all known Triumph clubs should pool their resources for this one occasion, all should subsume their National events into this one big gig - the implication being that as a joint venture we/they/all of us should be able to afford a weekend at a major venue.

The suggestion is that all manner of 'events' should take place - including a track day, a concours, a fun run, etc, etc.

Forum will take time to consider this - and, incidentally, you would not be surprised to hear than some of the small clubs are already proving to be very negative about the whole scheme ....

GRAHAM ROBSON "

When I asked if he would be posting the same elsewhere, he asked me to do so on his behalf, and I am delighted to do so.

My views are well known. I will look forward to 2013 and offer any help I can give.

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John

trv8
Wedgista

Postby trv8 » 31 Jan 2010 05:22

John, that sounds great and will look forward to that in 2013 [:0].

In the mean time get yourself (and others ) along to this one for some ideas.....

<center>23 of May 2010
Standard Triumph Marque Day
Prescott Hill
Gotherington
Cheltenham
GL52 9RD</center>

Sounds very similar and was attended by many Triumph clubs ie TR Register, Club Triumph, TSSC and many others. The last one was in 2008 and what a fantastic day enjoyed by all.

Hear's a bit more information I found on the TR Register site
http://www.tr-register.co.uk/acatalog/S ... _2008.html

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 31 Jan 2010 09:45

I've been to the past two Triumph Marque Days. Last years was a bit of a waste of time at Duxford but the one at Prescott the year before must have been the best Triumph event I've ever been to.

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 31 Jan 2010 11:29

Don't you all forget that if you want foreign attendance to such a (probably GREAT!) event
you will have to publish the date, where to book the hotel rooms etc etc no later than
a couple of years ahead of the actual weekend - if that is done I'm sure there will be an
interest for overseas Club representation as well.

I'd sure go if the date is in an off-work week - might even ferry the '8 over to the UK...
[Ferry to UK: A major hassle nowadays when there are no ferries from Gothenburg anymore
- one have to go via either Esbjerg in Denmark <u>or</u> Bergen in Norway. Both of them <u>major
detours</u> of an extra days driving for someone living in the Stockholm area...]
/Odd

Image <font color="red"><b>My two 1980 Wedges...</b></font id="red">

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 01 Feb 2010 13:20

I support Odd.

Spectatohead
Swagester

Postby Spectatohead » 02 Feb 2010 01:08

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jclay</i>

I support Odd here. But I feel that your scope is too limited. Yes the cars were built in England, but a majority of the cars went to the States.

This should be an International event, not just a national one. There are many Triumph Clubs in the states and if all the members could not attend, I bet you would get at least one car from each club.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Maybe it could be held in conjunction with the VTR National Convention, where ever that may be in '13

The VTR's web page doesn't appear to have been updated for months.

Jim Clark
'80 TR8
'97 Maxima 5spd

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 02 Feb 2010 10:32

Jim,
I think you'll have difficulties moving Graham Robsons suggested meeting out of the British Isles
- they're having enough troubles as it is to agree on having it all together <u>within</u> the UK...
There's far to many different Triumph and Standard clubs, with different agendas, in Britain
to make this an easy project to move into reality. AfaIk the larger ones think it <u>might</u> be
an interesting proposal while some of the smaller ones are more reserved in their stance...

If you want to attend this Triumph Cars 90-years celebration you'll have to go to Britain,
just as I. And ferry/fly your Triumph in..?

Spectatohead
Swagester

Postby Spectatohead » 02 Feb 2010 15:28

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Odd</i>

Jim,
I think you'll have difficulties moving Graham Robsons suggested meeting out of the British Isles

Odd,
I wasn't suggesting moving it at all. I was suggesting that we in the colonies have our own event to mark the occasion. Getting my car to the UK would certainly cost more than it is worth at this point. Not to mention getting my own carcass over. As someone mentioned on the email list, it would be good to have somewhere in the middle of the country. While I would love to go to the event in the UK I just don't see how I could, unless I win the lottery between now and then. Kansas City, Saint Louis or even Minneapolis, on the other hand, even though it would be 1,600 miles or more each way; I could see myself and my car making it there.

Jim Clark
'80 TR8
'97 Maxima 5spd

Spectatohead
Swagester

Postby Spectatohead » 02 Feb 2010 18:16

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jclay</i>

We have seen in the past how difficult it has been for the Triumph Clubs just to accept the wedges,

I don't know, maybe we are more laid back here on the left coast. While there are certainly more TR-3's, 4s, 250's and 6's I've never felt that the wedges were snubbed or not considered "real" Triumphs. Most of the wedge owners I know, including myself, have owned various Triumphs over the years. I'll definitely admit that they are different from previous generations of Triumphs they are, after all, still Triumphs. I have been a member, and past president, of the Portland Triumph Owners Association. I have owned Spitfires, TR-6s, a TR-7, and now a TR-8. Several members of this club and the Tyee club in Seattle own wedges as well as other Triumphs. For someone of my size, 6'3" and 290 pounds, the wedges are much more comfortable. When I was younger, and smaller, the Spitfire and TR-6 were good. I once put 11,500 miles on my TR-6 during a 35 day leave from the Air Force. I figured later that I spent 9 solid days of that 35 day leave sitting in the 6. There is no way I could survive that now.

Jim Clark
'80 TR8
'97 Maxima 5spd

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 02 Feb 2010 20:38

I really do wish wish all the clubs in England can get together for this occasion!

jclay

[url="http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html"]My Triumph Site[/url], [url="http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/iWeb/Technical/Intro.html"]Technical Stuff[/url], [url="http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/53/wo/HJMTK8gsojtwKleP.1/0.2.1.2.26.31.97.0.35.0.1.1.1?user=jclaythompson&fpath=Triumph_Articles&templatefn=FileSharing4.html"]Download Page[/url]

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 07 Feb 2010 14:29

There is plenty of support within Club Triumph for this event[;)]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project Manx 2010 - I wish I could drive a TR7 like Tony Pond
North Yorks/Lancs border
http://raidertr7.blogspot.com/
TR7 Sprint FHC tarmac rally car - Speke built ... Barnoldswick modified - there's a big difference!

Odd
TRiffic

Postby Odd » 07 Feb 2010 14:59

OK,
I've read in the Courier that TSSC is supportive - I've heard from a friend that TRDC is supportive
- now you say CT is also supportive... So, I'm curious... Who's not supportive, or even anti then?
Which clubs do need extra pushes from members/nonmembers...

Chris Turner
TRemendous

Postby Chris Turner » 07 Feb 2010 23:19

Odd I think all clubs would be supportive if they knew the cost and whether or not they will be able to afford it. No doubt the bigger clubs will be ok, the smaller clubs could struggle. I hope it is successfull and I will attend if it is on.

www.triumphtrs.co.uk
THE Coca Cola car
TR7 Premium
TR7 Sprint
TR7V8 rally car

nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 18 Feb 2010 10:15

it sounds like a good idea, and would even give me time to get my car looking half decent.

i think the groups yet to infer interest may be other marqee triumphs and standards more than tr7 type groups, if i read the posts correctly anyway, but in the wake of all the pressures trying to push older cars off the road then any kind of inter club coalition like this will no doubt only bring good.....

the project at birth, watch it evolve...I hope...

nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 18 Feb 2010 10:18

will log that cheltenham day in my diary now too......

the project at birth, watch it evolve...I hope...